What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Where can I find these grommets?

edneff

Well Known Member
The builder of my RV8 did something a little different for the finishing screws on the fairings and spinner. He used countersunk machine screws with a metal grommet underneath instead of the usual round head screw with plastic or timmerman washers underneath. I can't seem to find a source for these. Any ideas??? Tks

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-10-24 at 10.29.34 PM.png
    Screenshot 2023-10-24 at 10.29.34 PM.png
    262.6 KB · Views: 103
  • Screenshot 2023-10-24 at 10.17.47 PM.png
    Screenshot 2023-10-24 at 10.17.47 PM.png
    444 KB · Views: 105
It is possible that the builder might have made them by taking some normal flat washers of the appropriate size and squeezing them with a dimpler. In fact that is exactly what I did in the shop this morning.

I use those a lot on KELLI GIRL. Search Amazon for “flush finishing washers”. You’ll find them there for #6, 8, 10, and other sizes. I love them, but be careful not to use them in a hole that really needs a Tinnerman washer’s wider load distribution.

One other thing, and trust me on this: For each screw size, try using the smaller sized washer. Use a #4 washer for a #6 screw, a #6 washer for a #8 screw, etc. They just fit more perfectly that way.

Last edited:
What Scroll said + 1 -

Whatever the included angle is (if not the 100* of the AN world), you can always run the washers through a "re-shaping" process with the correct dimple dies.

HFS

Thanks all for the suggestions. I love this resource. Like having experts on call 24/7.

I agree with Scroll.

They are Brass Nickel Plated Flush Finishing Washers. I bought mine on Amazon about $10 per box of 100. I found the #6 works great as is, but you’ll need to tweak the #8’s. I put them on a piece of wood and tap them with a small ball peen hammer to flatten them a bit and shrink the whole, after that the brass easily deforms to the dimpled or counter sink shape when you tighten up the screw.

I used them on my -7; I actually use the #6 variant on #8 screws.

FLUSH FINISH WASHER 39006F is the description
WASHER NAS391B6P / 601-6 39106C

And the A/S Spruce ordering page for these is a mess -- be careful.

https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/pnpages/04-03895.php
https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/hapages/finishingwashers.php?clickkey=5486299

I have used a lot of these 82-degree finishing washer by running them through my 100-degree dimple die on my pneumatic squeezer. The manual one works just as well but it takes more effort and time.

Finish washers

I used these on all my fuel tank screws. Over 2200 hours on my RV-8 I had to remove the tanks a few times to fix leaks, add inverted pick-ups, etc. I painted the tanks off the wing and used these finish washers to mount the tanks. No paint in the screw issues and they really looked good with my silver colored wings.

Back