What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

When to paint

Assuming you mean primer, I scuff, dimple, degrease, alodine, prime, then assemble. Using a zinc chromate or strontium chromate primer.

Otherwise the primer is likely to crack in the dimple process.

I only alodine on structural parts, assemble then prime.

YMMV

Ideally you dimple before prime but I've found that Akzo Nobel primer is so robust that with a proper cure there was no issue dimpling AN3 rivets after priming

I also use AKZO and scuffing is a lot easier before dimpling so I prime then dimple. Riveting disrupts the primer anyway so anything that gets cracked in a dimple is going to get cracked when it is riveted..... But the AKZO is really tough.

It's way easier to scuff and prime before dimpling. Cured Stewarts Systems EkoPoxy seems to be unaffected by dimpling.

If you're scuffing with maroon scotchbrite I can't see how the dimples being there make it any more difficult. I'm talking about for priming the inside of skins.

If you're scuffing with maroon scotchbrite I can't see how the dimples being there make it any more difficult. I'm talking about for priming the inside of skins.

Better to scuff prior to dimpling IMO without question. The biggest issue I've found is that the dimples tear up the scotchbrite in short order. I use a DA buffer/maroon scotchbrite for large skins, and that really doesn't work with dimples. As with some of the others, I've primed everything with Akzo and haven't had one dimple crack the primer over the entire airframe.

I just followed the construction manual. :D. Fit, Edge debur, match drill, counter sink, prime as desired and rivet. I agree it does save on the scotchbrite pads if you rough the surface before dimpling though!!

I'm having good luck scuffing, cleaning, and priming before dimpling. I'm using Duplicolor self etching spray can primer, but I do allow the primer cure for a couple of days before dimpling. Dimpling before the primer is fully cured will cause the primer to turn loose in the dimple.

Back