What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

What would you do differently?

svanarts

Well Known Member
After I finished my RV-4 I decided there were a few things I would have done differently if I had to build my RV-4 over again. Now that I'm in the planning stage of building an RV-7 I'm wondering if RV-7 builders/fliers have anything in mind that they would have done differently during construction?

For instance, if I were to build an RV-4 over again I would build it with RV-6 fuel tanks.

Just a few...

1. AutoPilot
2. FULL IFR
4. FM/AM/XM/CD/DVD/MP3 Player ... instead of FN/AM/CD/MP3

svanarts said:
For instance, if I were to build an RV-4 over again I would build it with RV-6 fuel tanks.

Speaking of RV6 tanks, is this a straight drop in (less the extra rib of course) or is there other monkeying around required? I too would love to have any and all extra fuel. 32 gal just doesn't cut it.

Could be retrofited but would be best during construction. Definately not a drop in replacement. Do a search on Matronics and you'll find it.

Back to RV-7 stuff! :)

svanarts said:
Is this just for simplicity or is there a story there? :cool:

Nah no story - it would just be less important to remind passengers not to press with their toes while landing. I'm taking them out this winter.

Scott - could you perhaps post what you would do differently on your -4 on the -4 list. i would be interested. Its not fair to clutter the 7 list with -4 stuff.

Thanks.

Check the tread starter a little closer, Steve.
Scott built a '4 in the past but is now planning his '7, and that is what he's asking about.

For me, what I would have done differently is to start building it when I was 30 years old instead of 55. :mad:
At least I picked up some time doing the QB. :D

Vern, please check what I wrote a little closer. Scott has ideas about the -4, I am building a -4, and I asked Scott to post his thoughts on the -4 list. Reasonable? Steve.

Have someone else build it!

I am aso sick of this thing...Was about to paint the final parts last night (Fuel tanks and wing root fairings),...realised I didn't have enough primer aftet the paint store was closed of course.

Oh well

Bolting on wings on friday...Seems the nearer you get to the end the further away it is.

Frankh

I would put extra wire conduits under the seats before riveting down the seats floors. The center tunnel wire openings are insuficient for my needs (strobe wires (power supply behind baggage bulkheand), pitch servo, GRT magnetometer, tail lights, electric pitch trim).

Jekyll

What I would do differently next time...

1. Forget trying to build a wingtip comm antenna and go straight to the belly bent whip. Loose 1 mph and gain twice the radio range.
2. Move everything as far forward as possible for the CG (has anyone ever had a forward CG on a side-by-side?).
3. Wait until this last minute to purchase the panel goodies.
4. Buy a prepunched kit instead of the drill-every-****-hole kit. Late kit builders have no idea of the 3-4-6 extra time required (and skills learned).
5. Build wing lockers for both wing tips (not just one). Puts weight on the CG.
6. Mount a constant speed prop instead of a fixed pitch. Removes the RPM restriction and gets shorter field and better climb.

Things I would do again:
Glue the canopy with Sika (should be a factory design).
Mount a Garmin 296-396-496 in the panel
Install a Trutrak wing lever (may add an altitude hold later)

Kelly Patterson
O-320 EMag, 9.2:1
80 hours and a trip to OSH
RV-6A N716K
PHX,AZ

Back