What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

What to do first….

nohoflyer

Well Known Member
Patron
I probably know the answer to this but I’m going to ask anyhow. I’m ready to attach my empennage to the fuse so I can start installing the pushrod and rudder cables. Has anyone done the fiberglass tips while it’s attached? Or does everyone fiberglass the tips on first then attach the control surfaces to the fuse?

It's somewhat of a personal preference thing, but understand that you're going to go on and off with the control surfaces several times in the course of fitting the tips. The elevators and rudder need to be removed to be able to fit and sand the fiberglass, but you need them at least temporarily held in place with a bolt to get everything lined up properly.

So...get the control surfaces fitted and adjusted to the correct dimensions, but don't be in a hurry to "permanently" attach them. The elevators are especially difficult to get all the washers and spacers in place for the pushrod since you're working somewhat blind.

Yep, agreed. I’ve have my empennage on and off at least 3-4 times during the process. I THINK it is on for good now but ya never know.

Get or make yourself some assembly pins. They will save you the frustration of messing with the hinge bolts as the control surfaces go on and off

Back