What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

What kind of fuel for your RV-12?

mvanwyk

I'm in the queue for a factory-built RV-12iS. Estimated delivery mid-2024.
I plan to do explore the USA, such as from the West Coast to the East Coast and back, (California to Sun'nFun, and back; California to Oshkosh, and back. And, places in-between; etc.)
I would prefer to use unleaded fuel all of the time -- and in fact my home base has Swift 94UL -- but I know that many airports along the way offer only 100LL.
As an RV-12 owner, how do you handle this?
* Do you make an effort at distant airports to obtain unleaded (such as E10 mogas) near the airport? If so, do you bring a fuel container with you to haul the fuel to the airplane from the auto gas station?
* Do you simply use 100LL when that's all you have, and don't worry about it?
* Do you have a map of preferred airports along the way that offer unleaded?
* Do you use 100LL all the time, and don't worry about it?
* Do you NEVER use 100LL, because of potential of lead buildup?
* How does 100LL affect your RV-12? No noticeable affect? Or, noticeable affect?

My plane has never burned Avgas after 270hrs.

It takes considerable flight planning to have access to Mogas on ccx flights. Even so much as hauling additional fuel in the baggage area with Alaskan Bush Bags. Having said that l always bring Decalin in case I need fuel in an emergency.

I don't believe that burning avgas is a truly bad thing, but at this point I want to see how long I can keep the streak going.

Airports with MOGAS

Here’s a link to a list of airports that sells MOGAS. If you’re making a x-country trip, it’s still a good idea to call ahead of time to confirm your planned stop still offers it before actually flying there.
http://flyunleaded.com/airports.html

I avoid 100LL, but not to the extent of hauling around gas cans. Carry Decalin when you use 100LL. By mid-2024 will hopefully be moot in CA as we will have unleaded everywhere.

220+ hours and still lead free. It does take planning and the Alaskan Fuel Bags are something I do, too, but only empty. There are typically courtesy cars or crew cars available to run get unleaded to fill up.

Below is my list of known mogas available airports. You DO need to look up phone numbers on Airnav and call first; occasionally you will find they are either out of unleaded or no longer carry it. KCTJ in Carrollton, GA is one that ALWAYS carried unleaded but my call for the trip to Sun 'n Fun a couple months ago found they weren't carrying it for the winter and I had to route through KBNL Barnwell, SC then followed the coastline for a more beautiful route.

From what I understand California has a few places now that ONLY carry unleaded and there are likely more I don't know about.

Formatting didn't carry over but here it is!

KLMO Longmont CO Vance Brand
KEGE Eagle CO Eagle County Regional
KGIF Winter Haven FL Winter Haven Regional
KCTJ Carrollton GA West Georgia Regional - O V Grey Field
KTVK Centerville IA Centerville Municipal
KBNW Boone IA Boone Municipal
C17 Marion IA Marion
KVTI Vinton IA Vinton Veterans Memorial Airpark
S75 Payette ID Payette Municipal
KMAN Nampa ID Nampa Municipal
JOT Joliet IL Joliet Regional
SFY Savanna IL Tri-Township
KTEL Tell City IN Perry County Municipal
2R2 Indianapolis IN Hendricks County - Gordon Graham Field
KAID Anderson IN Anderson Municipal - Darlington Field
KPPO La Porte IN La Porte Municipal
4C2 Waterloo IN Walker/Rowe Waterloo
K34 Gardner KS Gardner Municipal
K88 Iola KS Allen County
2K7 Neodesha KS Neodesha Municipal
KEMP Emporia KS Emporia Municipal
KMHK Manhattan KS Manhattan Regional
KEQA El Dorado KS El Dorado/Capt Jack Thomas Memorial
K50 Rose Hill KS Cook Airfield
KEWK Newton KS Newton - City - County
47K Moundridge KS Moundridge Municipal
KMPR McPherson KS McPherson
4R7 Eunice LA Eunice
2L0 Pineville LA Pineville Municipal
KSFM Sanford ME Sanford Seacoast Regional
3B5 Turner ME Twitchell
B21 Carrabassett ME Sugarloaf Regional
KOWK Norridgewock ME Central Maine/Norridgewock
1B0 Dexter ME Dexter Regional
8D4 Sparta MI Paul C. Miller - Sparta
77G Marlette MI Marlene Township
7Y3 Backus MN Backus Municipal
KLXL Little Falls MN Little Falls/Morrison County-Lindberg Field
KHZX McGregor MN Isedor Iverson
KACQ Waseca MN Waseca Municipal
KAEL Albert Lea MN Albert Lea Municipal
KTWM Two Harbors MN Richard B Helgeson
KMYJ Mexico MO Mexico Memorial
KLXT Lee’s Summit MO Lee’s Summit Municipal
23M Quitman MS Clarke County
W17 Knightdale NC Raleigh East
08D Stanley ND Stanley Municipal
KCEK Crete NE Crete Municipal
93Y David City NE David City Municipal
7B3 Hampton NH Hampton Airfield
9G5 Gasport NY Royalton
KGEO Georgetown OH Brown County
62D Warren OH Warren
6P7 Freeport PA McVille
KBNL Barnwell SC Barnwell Regional
Y03 Springfield SD Springfield Municipal
KMBG Mobridge SD Mobridge Municipal
KAPT Jasper TN Marion County - Brown Field
F51 Winnsboro TX Winnsboro Municipal
KCRS Corsicana TX C David Campbell Field - Corsicana Municipal
7T7 Midland TX Skywest
U96 Halls Crossing UT Cal Black Memorial
KSFQ Suffolk VA Suffolk Executive
KPUW Pullman/Moscow WA Pullman/Moscow Regional
RAC Racine WI Batten International
02C Brookfield WI Capitol Drive
KHXF Hartford WI Hartford Municipal
KMTW Manitowoc WI Manitowoc County
W34 Shiocton WI Shiocton
7P5 Suring WI Piso
KRNH New Richmond WI New Richmond Regional
KLNL Land O’ Lakes WI Kings Land O’ Lakes
C47 Portage WI Portage Municipal
KAUW Wausau WI Wausau Downtown

I avoid 100LL, but not to the extent of hauling around gas cans. Carry Decalin when you use 100LL. By mid-2024 will hopefully be moot in CA as we will have unleaded everywhere.
But it's not moot, if as I stated originally, I intend to fly coast-to-coast -- stopping for fuel in many other states.
As for local flights, I happen to live in a "progressive" unleaded aviation fuel utopia, where Swift UL94 is sold at numerous local airports, such as:
  • San Martin (E16) -- my home base;
  • Reid Hillview (KRHV)
  • Hayward (KHWD)
  • San Carlos (KSQL)
  • Watsonville (KWVI)
This is partly due to government decree.
It's costly. They need to haul the fuel via tanker rail car from Swift in Indiana to Fremont, CA. Trucks then haul it from Fremont to the various airports.
As long as I stay near home, I never need to use 100LL.
But, my question is: what about cross countries?
I can plan as best as possible to stop at airports that either carry UL, or airports that maybe have a car gas station nearby. In that case it would behoove me to have an empty 5-gallon gas can to haul to mogas to my plane.
But, there will be times that I want to travel places that have only 100LL.
I guess in those cases I will not have a choice, aside from maybe hauling some UL with me, and also carrying some Decalin to prevent lead deposits in my Rotax engine.
The sooner there is 100 percent UL availability in all 50 United States, the better.

Just remember a lot of mogas is the lower octane variety.
Yes, I know. I'm thinking maybe a 50-50 blend of 100LL and mogas might be prudent.

Last edited:

Thanks for this. I had never heard of it. Is it OK'd by Rotax?

So what's the price of Swift UL94 ?
Expect that the price for UL avgas will always be higher than what you are paying now. I predict that it will never be cheaper, even if it becomes mandatory in all 50 states.
From Airnav:

Reid Hillview (KRHV) - where 100LL is banned:
UL94 - $7.70

San Martin (E16) - where 100LL is banned
UL94- $7.89
Jet A- $5.78

Watsonville (KWVI):
100LL $6.10
UL94: $7.10
Jet A - $5.70

San Carlos (KSQL)
100LL: $6.55
UL94: $7.05
JET A - $5.10

Hayward (KHWD)
100LL: $7.55
94UL - $8.13
Jet A - $5.77

times they are a changing

As expected, what they're cooking up to replace 100LL will sure increase the price at the pump (and drastically?).
For Rotax runners, MOGAS is less than less than half the price posted for UL (local Costco 93 octane = $3.34 today).
I feel lucky.

As expected, what they're cooking up to replace 100LL will sure increase the price at the pump (and drastically?).
For Rotax runners, MOGAS is less than less than half the price posted for UL (local Costco 93 octane = $3.34 today).
I feel lucky.

I paid about $6 at "home" for ethanol-free mogas, premium mogas was going for $4 or so. But it looks like prices have gone up at E16 again, @mvanwyk, I just paid $7.50 or 7.51 at the beginning of the week!

To add to the list I get ethanol free 91 octane in Brighton, CO and paid $3.85 a gallon. First time in all my years getting fuel there I was informed they just had a price reduction with their ethanol free gas prior to my purchase. Last couple years it was creeping up in price with all the other fuels. :p

A couple of months ago Super Unleaded was $5.60 at my local gas station. A 20 minute flight away in Maricopa 100 LL AVGAS was $5.37. Never thought I’d see AVGAS cheaper than MOGAS. Since then Super UL MOGAS has come down to $5.00.

Back