What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

What do you call a ?short runway??

Short is Relative

My definition of a short field is one you can land on, but can't take off from.:eek:

I wish I could get into a 2300 runway. Actually did it once with a 40+ kt direct headwind on the ground. I consider a 3500 runway short and in fact will not go into a 3500 after dark inspite of having 700 hours on my lancair...

Nice airplane but you would be missing out on some of the most interesting airports in the midwest if you can't get into the many 2000 ft grass strips. Sunday, on the way back to Stoughton, WI from Lafayette, IN (via Paris IL for lunch with the family) I detoured to fly over the Broadhead, WI airport. Broadhead is well known for it's many homebuilts and antiques. As I flew over I hear an experimental announce downwind for 21. I inquired and found out it was an RV-8. With time to spare I swung around into the pattern for 21 and landed. 21 is only 1400 ft, clear on both ends, and didn't cause a second of concern. I was at taxi speed in 1/2 the length or less (short field practice is fun). After a visiting with a new RV friend, Jeff Fink, I took off on 21 and made the short trip to Stoughton. A little headwind, slip to loose altitude and I was turning around just 300 to 400 ft past the displaced threshold of the 2500 foot runway 18. RV grins never go away.

Good luck on your search for an RV.

Good luck on your search for an RV.

Thanks Frank and Pierre for the comments.

I appreciate the RV's short field ability for more than just the ability to get into shorter less improved strips - think safety it affords. What do you think my chances are if I suffer catastrophic engine failure and typically land crossing numbers at 80-90 knots sucking up over 3000 feet of runway on a good day?

Not good.

Thanks Frank and Pierre for the comments.

'''. What do you think my chances are if I suffer catastrophic engine failure and typically land crossing numbers at 80-90 knots sucking up over 3000 feet of runway on a good day?

Lousy! is the short answer. No one loves speed any more than I do but staying alive in my profession as an ag pilot (41 years now) is a daily challenge...one reason that I fly behind the most dependable engine known to man...the PT-6.

I give up 30 knots or so, not flying a Lancair and believe me, I've considered one many times but for my usual mission, day trips with friends of 250 miles or so, there's not much advantage in having a Lancair.....and engine failures make the RV shine over the Lancairs.

If you often make 1,000 mile + trips, or coast-to-coast, then yes, fly Lancair.

Engine failures in RV's, handled properly, are very survivable...ask Paul Dye!!

Best,

For those who consider flying into 53VG's 1900' grass runway, I created a video which shows both the overview and wing mounted camera view.

You can see what a difference 75' trees make on one end vs a relatively clear aproach from the other end.

-- video here --

The builder of my RV-8 discussed my field at length. He said, I should be down within the first 3rd or else go around. If I'm down within the first 3rd, I am almost always stopped with minimal breaking by the 2nd 3rd.

Last edited:
I've flown my Air Cam into a high school football field. ...wouldn't want to do it in my rv-12 though. :D

Bruce,

When you can turn crosswind before reaching mid-field a high school football field is not a short field for you:D. I enjoyed watching you doing TnGs.

This...

Is a short runway!!

http://skyvector.com/airport/67KY/Estes-Airport

And don't believe the length. The story I was told when I flew in there with my AA5 (myself, 8 gallons of gas) was that three guys knocked their backyard fences down. When the FAA guy came out to do whatever they do to call it an airport it was snowing like crazy. The guys filled the FAA inspector with scotch and he took his work for it.

As I recall, one way in, one way out, and it requires a slip in between two houses. First third is uphill, second third is flat (ish), third is sharply downhill and not suitable for use :)

[Edit] hmmmm....looking on it on satellite I see that it looks like its been improved/cleared in the almost 20 years since I was there....nvm

Last edited:
We used to have a recovery runway at Grindale, near Bridlington. Was about 750' long and out of normal wind.

I used to put the Cessna 206 in now and again when we had a strong Southerly.

Wouldn't get out again though.........

Operated out of 1000' regularly with Champ, Citabria, Zlin 526 (only twice ! )

Back