What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

What did you pay for your last IFR Cert?

Noah

Well Known Member
What did you pay for your IFR transponder / static system check?

I just got a price of $475 from one shop - yikes! (That includes 2 altimeters).

When I mentioned that I have an EFIS that contains the altimeter to another shop I called (no, the altimeter can't be removed from the EFIS), they asked "Who makes the EFIS"? When I replied "Advanced Flight Systems" the line went silent for about 20 seconds. Even though he said he would look into it and call me back, it has been several hours and I doubt I'll hear from him.

The value proposition for this check sure seems a little out of balance to me.

Just for ref, I charge $295 for a single altimeter IFR check and $350 for a dual altimeter (EFIS/Steam) check.
This includes calibrating/adjusting the altimeter & encoder.

Last edited:
The guy that comes to our airport charges $250 for Mode C and $350 for Mode S.

At TYS the avionics shop there charges $250 for either one.

John,

Who did you use? Nobody in central ohio will touch an experimental EFIS.

Thanks,

Bob

Bob,

My last two were done at Ross County, KRZT. TRM avionics charged me $275 for GRT EFIS, back up altimeter, and Garmin GTX327 transponder.

Before that I did at C. F. Airtronics, Inc. at Highland County for $215. C.F. Airtronics moved to Lebanon, OH.

Bob,

My last two were done at Ross County, KRZT. TRM avionics charged me $275 for GRT EFIS, back up altimeter, and Garmin GTX327 transponder.

Before that I did at C. F. Airtronics, Inc. at Highland County for $215. C.F. Airtronics moved to Lebanon, OH.

I've heard good things about that shop. I've got relatives nearby, so I'll probably use them when the weather gets better.

thanks,

bob

Got some more prices today.
Griffin Avionics Hyannis MA: $585
Radio Shop Worcester MA: $475
Exxel Avionics Hartford CT: $439
Stellar Avionics Chester CT $315
VIP Avionics Hartford CT $595

Man I need to get out of the Northeast :rolleyes:...

Since you are the manufacturer of your airplane you may conduct your own pitot/static test, according to 91.411.

Bob. I have used Lamp Aircraft at TSO for 30+ years. I know many experimental guys that have had theirs done by Leon.

I'm not there yet, but that's what I was thinking, too.

Someone will post that (he believes) that you are not the manufacturer for this purpose. Regardless, it's academic; the FAR refers to part 43 E/F which in turn states the measurements required. Unless you can borrow it, the equipment needed is very expensive.

Since you are the manufacturer of your airplane you may conduct your own pitot/static test, according to 91.411.

Love ya Bob but definately without a doubt the above is not the case. Even if you could borrow the equipment you still can't do it.
This and other typical questions about this can be found HERE

The FAR’s authorize the "manufacturer" of the aircraft to conduct the tests However, the builder of an amateur-built aircraft does not meet the FAA’s definition of a manufacturer. The FAA, in Order 8130.2, defines a manufacturer as a Production Approval Holder (PAH). Some examples of a PAH would be the holder of a Production Certificate (PC), a Parts Manufacturing Authority (PMA), and Technical Standards Order Authorization (TSOA). An amateur builder does not fit this definition. Thus, the amateur-builder cannot perform the transponder and pitot/static tests on his/her homebuilt.

November 2013 Cost in SoCAL

I paid $225 for Title 14 CFR 91.411 & 91.413 tests on two altimeters to 20,000 Ft and Transponder. The guy I used is mobile and comes to me. He also has been in the business the longest and has the BEST reputation in the SoCAL area.

From what I understand, I will be paying more in SW Pennsylvania next time in 2015 when I need it done.

Yes I am the manufacturer of the aircraft but without an FAA Production Certificate for the facility, the manufacturer doing the test does not count as being in compliance with 91.411 or 91.413.

The FAA, in Order 8130.2, defines a manufacturer as a Production Approval Holder (PAH). Some examples of a PAH would be the holder of a Production Certificate (PC), a Parts Manufacturing Authority (PMA), and Technical Standards Order Authorization (TSOA). An amateur builder does not fit this definition. Thus, the amateur-builder cannot perform the transponder and pitot/static tests on his/her homebuilt.

This is one example where if an FAA inspector decided that I could not do my own pitot/static check I would say show me the exact paragraph where it states in either the FARs or in 8130.2 where I am not in fact the manufacturer, even though I have a stamped on a dataplate that I am the manufacturer.

That said.... they define manufacturer as "w. Manufacturer. A person who causes a product or article thereof to be produced."

I think we can fit that defnintion with ease.

Now transponder checks, different deal...it is spelled out exactly who can do them.

Back