What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

What did you do with your RV this weekend? (12/30/2023 - 1/1/2024)

Went to the airport yesterday to go fly the RV-4 for a bit. Really had nowhere to go, so headed east and explored some roads & valleys. Then headed a bit more east, and did a landing in the desert and made my way home.

1.0 of flying. Now it’s raining so looks like I’m done for the year.

Attachments

• IMG_0281.jpg
    IMG_0281.jpg
    413.8 KB · Views: 105
Enjoyed sand dunes in snowy Wyoming.

Attachments

• sand dunes - 1.jpeg
    sand dunes - 1.jpeg
    128.5 KB · Views: 121
  • sand dunes - 1 (1).jpeg
    sand dunes - 1 (1).jpeg
    243.9 KB · Views: 106
Working on (RV7) landing perfection ??

After after re-calibration of my G3X AOA, and rewatching VAC's AOA OSH presentation (w/vids) a few times . . then waited for a weather opening . . . 8 days.

Sadly no photo, but yesterday was an open sky for a little while. Some ice fog cleared for the flight opportunity.

Some slow flight and recording of speed, descent and RPM settings for several AOA positions a reference, then headed back for a 5 kt left x-wind. Held at the ONSPEED point for last 500 ft w/o changes and the best squeaker of a 3 point landing I have ever done in 270 hrs of this RV7. Low GW and high air density to boot. This AOA is expanding my knowledge and breaking some bad habits acquired a little bit at a time. I really have to thank the VAF input/discussion on this. New tricks for this old dog.

The best part: it did not feel like luck. ;):D

After after re-calibration of my G3X AOA, and rewatching VAC's AOA OSH presentation (w/vids) a few times . . then waited for a weather opening . . . 8 days.

Sadly no photo, but yesterday was an open sky for a little while. Some ice fog cleared for the flight opportunity.

Some slow flight and recording of speed, descent and RPM settings for several AOA positions a reference, then headed back for a 5 kt left x-wind. Held at the ONSPEED point for last 500 ft w/o changes and the best squeaker of a 3 point landing I have ever done in 270 hrs of this RV7. Low GW and high air density to boot. This AOA is expanding my knowledge and breaking some bad habits acquired a little bit at a time. I really have to thank the VAF input/discussion on this. New tricks for this old dog.

The best part: it did not feel like luck. ;):D

Very Nice BillL!

Lil’ Dude and I were conditioning the seats and installing the carpet and canopy to finish up the condition inspection. Heard the RV “sound” from a T&G and saw a familiar 9A.
A little visiting and briefing later we made sure the condition inspection was a success and I could pay Lil’ Dude for his labor with a little stick time. Photo credit to Lil’ Dude….

Attachments

• IMG_2056.jpg
    IMG_2056.jpg
    203.8 KB · Views: 94
I lost my rotisserie………

Attachments

• IMG_1382.jpg
    IMG_1382.jpg
    404.5 KB · Views: 106
Flew to KDLZ and back

to fetch a used car purchase from Ohio. Had to fly most of the trip at 1200 AGL to stay out of a solid overcast. I got home in 1.6; my son and his girl spent 5.5 in the Honda Civic getting home over the roads.

I had a recurrent issue with the heat - the Bowden cable seemed to work fine after lubrication on the ground and in a test flight, but yesterday after I pulled it on, it wouldn't go back in - just sprung back out again without turning off the air flow. I'm replacing the cable soon, but I suspect the issue is more in the heater air door versus the cable itself.

Another surprise - my Red Cube decided to work on the return leg after being inoperable for several weeks/months. I'm not sure what's happening there either. Between the fuel flow apparatus, the heater air box and the AFS / Seattle data not downloading properly, there's plenty of things about sport aviation that keep me pretty mystified, but it sure is fun.

Attachments

• IMG_8081.jpg
    IMG_8081.jpg
    155.3 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_8079.jpg
    IMG_8079.jpg
    149 KB · Views: 43
At church yesterday, I met my buddy's sister and family, including a very sharp and well-behaved six year old who asked some good airplane questions -- very worthy of a followup.

So, this morning I met him and his dad at the airport. He is too small to see out of the RV-9A, and young, but I did show him (and his dad) the RV-9A. He inserted an SD card, turned on the master switch, and pushed the button on the audio panel so he could hear the ATIS -- although he didn't understand any of it. He asked what all the numbers were on the circuit breakers, what that red button was on the control stick, and what the gas pedals were on the floor.

A good time for all!

I managed a couple of things over the last few days.

Firstly, the KR KRew gave the KRviatrix one of those Cricut printer thingies for Christmas. She unpacked it and (foolishly, I would argue!) left it set up unattended, so I promptly appropriated it to trial printing some new stickers for the -9 to finally replace the Dymo labels I've been flying with since forever.

For a first go, I'd say they turned out pretty nice. Time will tell how durable the vinyl is but it was very quick to layout and print and the vinyl rolls themselves are relatively cheap, so even replacing every few years isn't out of the question.

Secondly, I finally go back in the air after a small medical issue, so took Mini-Me I+II up for 90 minutes each the last couple of days and decided to see if the -9 still has it. For a 9,000' DA, performance remains within a knot of what Van says I should get. I still had a quarter-inch of throttle remaining so may change to the next pitch setting on the Sensenich G/A prop if I can be bothered, but I usually potter around at about 55% and 2400RPM/140KTAS anyway, so there's no rush to do so.

Attachments

• 20240102_171017 (002).jpg
    20240102_171017 (002).jpg
    186.9 KB · Views: 63
  • 20240102_104216.jpg
    20240102_104216.jpg
    407.2 KB · Views: 83
Charleston Executive

Flew from KFIN to KJZI ( Charleston) . To visit my daughter… 1:30 min flight sure beats a 4-1/2 hour at minimum drive on 95 .

Attachments

• IMG_1925.jpg
    IMG_1925.jpg
    210.8 KB · Views: 56
First flight out of my new base CEG3 late yesterday, landed just before official night. As this new home is unheated and temps are unseasonably warm but still below freezing, prep for the flight included remote activation of my oil pan heater and a bunch more air in the tires.

Plane flew well, no sign of the electrical snags that I've been battling for the past 6 months. Just a quick .8, but there will be more. Only had 2.1 hours and 4 flights since returning from OSH.

We had a very informal meet up of RV's at Lake Havasu (KHII) for lunch on New Year's day. Marc and Rita flew in from Long Beach, Ethan and Ed from El Cajon, along with myself and my daughter from Ramona. Perfect weather over the Mojave desert. Cool temps and light winds.

IMG_6340-M.jpg

Flight down south the Colorado Great Sand Dunes, perfect weather and my son got to do all of the flying!

Attachments

• IMG_3330.jpg
    IMG_3330.jpg
    436.5 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_3320.jpg
    IMG_3320.jpg
    385 KB · Views: 54
Missing Man

Our Chapter flew a missing man formation for a fallen member. He was 89 years old, owns his 22nd aircraft, and flew up to two days before his passing. Fun loving great man.

Attachments

• IMG_1139.jpeg
    IMG_1139.jpeg
    230.7 KB · Views: 42
  • image000000.jpeg
    image000000.jpeg
    58.4 KB · Views: 31
Last edited:
Back