What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

What did you do w/your RV this weekend? (8/26-27/2023)

DeltaRomeo

doug reeves: unfluencer
Staff member
...getting it started <g>.

The high here today is 107*F, so no RVating for me (highs forecast in the 90's for the next five days - yay!). But, I did get a nice shot of an Eastern Bluebird out of our window. 'Bout all the aviation I got to do Saturday <grin>.

v/r,dr

Last edited:
10 min flight to warm up the oil for an oil change, it was 100 in the shade under the wing…….

Attachments

• IMG_0674.jpg
    IMG_0674.jpg
    645.8 KB · Views: 117
Fun Flying

Beautiful day in Pennsylvania, headed to breakfast at Sky Manor N40, short video of Mark and I returning as a Flight 2 back to Heritage.

Shot this video via a GoPro in the cabin and insta360 on the wing. Also short clip from Mark’s plane on an iPhone.

Just can’t shake the grin :)

https://youtu.be/946KYhq2o-w?si=-4l55q0uwf3eQ32y

Attachments

• IMG_1682.jpg
    IMG_1682.jpg
    153.5 KB · Views: 131
Last edited:
The CAF B-17 was still at Arlington this weekend. Unconfirmed rumors indicate that one of the generators failed and they are waiting to have it repaired. Since there was no one around, I took the opportunity to get some pictures and managed to sneak in a cameo.

Click the image for the full gallery.

https://steverush.smugmug.com/CAF-B-17-AWO-8-23/

I didn't want to miss out on what is probably a one time only opportunity.

Overnight trip from Savannah to Knoxville McGhee-Tyson Airport

My F-22 driver nephew from Las Vegas, his wife and toddler son were visiting my sister and family in Knoxville. I’d not seen them in a bit over two years, and this was the first chance to see the little one – a very sociable and extremely active two year old.

It was hot and hazy on the way north, and I was fat, dumb and cool above it. Approaching the Smokies, I could see that the southern half was cloud free, and on the northern half, there was good clearance between cloud base and the mountains. That meant that if I lost power above the clouds, I’d have at least a chance to find something soft to run into after I broke out. I turned on the synthetic vision for the mountain crossing, just in case. (I never use it over the flatlands).

I was glad I was not VFR, just above the Smokies under the clouds or detouring around the west end. It was also amazing to think that not that many years ago, this trip would have been done without ADS-B weather, with all its features.

I was at 8,500, as were many of the cloud tops ahead, so I asked Knoxville Approach for and got an instrument clearance. No surprise, twenty miles later I was clear of clouds but didn’t cancel because of other traffic going into Knoxville Mike Tyson airport, as the FSS briefer referred to it in his heavy accent – and I don’t think he knew the mistake.

It was a slam dunk approach to the right runway, but the left runway was more convenient for taxiing, and tower gave it to me.

Next morning, there was lots of low IFR about so no hurry to get going, and the westerners had an early flight. If the Smokies were obscured, I would detour west towards Chattanooga. When I got to the airport, there were a few clouds about, so I filed IFR again. When I got to the Smokies, the tops were not obscured and even better, ATC’s vector took me over a gap in the clouds.

I was at 7,000 and ATC took me up to 8,000 for traffic, but tailwinds were increasing, so I went up to 9,000 and was rewarded with a 20 knot tailwind component.

Pretty soon, the clouds stopped, but there were reports of more clouds along the way. Twenty north of Savannah, the clouds stopped, I canceled IFR. Approach asked if I wanted the GPS approach for practice, but it was already hot and bumpy, so no, thanks. Instead, I was vectored to a base entry, keeping the speed well up because of departures waiting on the ground and Gulfstreams on final.

It occurred to me that flying IFR like this with an autopilot requires a fair amount of knowledge with a bit of experience and judgement tossed in. However, pushing buttons and turning knobs requires almost no skill. But if the autopilot fails…

Two hours, takeoff to landing. Beats driving, beats the airlines… as long as the weather permits, even IFR-capable.

The Mrs. And I flew down to Daytona Beach from Peachtree City to help my son move into his dorm at Embry-Riddle (and to escape the heat in Georgia). Yes, we flew further south to get away from the heat! It was a high of 98 with high humidity back home. It was a balmy 89 with a nice ocean breeze in Daytona. We just got one pic on a left base to 7L. The university is off the end of the runway to the left. You can see the speedway also to the left. The Coke Zero 400 is happening as I type this.

This a perfect trip for the RV at just under two hours. We had clear skies, a smooth ride, and a slight tailwind at 9500. ATL Approach even let me climb through the Bravo. Straight shot to a 1 mile left base. I couldn’t have asked for a smoother trip!

Attachments

• IMG_1050.jpg
    IMG_1050.jpg
    595.3 KB · Views: 151
Last edited:
The CAF B-17 was still at Arlington this weekend. Unconfirmed rumors indicate that one of the generators failed and they are waiting to have it repaired. Since there was no one around, I took the opportunity to get some pictures and managed to sneak in a cameo.

Great Planes Fly Alike!
The Liberty Aviation Museum Ford Tri-Motor operated by EAA was hosted by Chapter 113 and the Yankee Air Museum at YIP for four days; I volunteered for ground crew duties. Thursday was foiled by weather; we had two big thunderstorms roll through in less than 24 hours. Friday I was able to fly in and park on the Roush Aeronautics Center ramp. Administrative issues kept the Tri-Motor grounded that day but it was still a great opportunity to get some photos. I was unable to attend yesterday but I'll be back today to help out.

Attachments

• 230825 33s.jpg
    230825 33s.jpg
    989.2 KB · Views: 165
  • 230825 19s.jpg
    230825 19s.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 125
A couple of hours flown in different directions because... well... because I can.

Some of the 2+ hours was spent following a friend in his Cessna 206 up to Siberia - a remote location in Aspring National Park. While he stopped for a picnic lunch with his wife I provided top cover CAP :D

Stunning flying conditions were had and I wish I'd taken the GoPro with me as I could have got some fantastic footage. Rats!. Next time!

Attachments

• received_701126451865766.jpeg
    received_701126451865766.jpeg
    580.2 KB · Views: 218
Great Planes Fly Alike!
The Liberty Aviation Museum Ford Tri-Motor operated by EAA was hosted by Chapter 113 and the Yankee Air Museum at YIP for four days; Friday I was able to fly in and park on the Roush Aeronautics Center ramp.

:cool: Wow! Some amazing company!

Trip to Oregon

Trip to Oregon.
Cruised out at 14500, returned at 15500.
The plane didnt like lean of peak (LoP) that hi up. On the way out, lean of peak gave me only a few percent gain in fuel economy, but the engine was rough, so i used the basic leaning where I lean to roughness and then enrichen till smooth. This worked out well.

Found out a little nuance about cross countries thou. On long cross countries, I usually leave a few gallons in the tank so I can divert if the destination airport doesnt have fuel. But this time, the diversion was due to IFR conditions due to smoke and haze. The diversion was actually quite a bit away from my original destination, over a ridge, 2 hours by car. Fuel was a issue when chosing my eventual diversion airport. So trying to juggle fuel availability upon landing, fuel remaining, and guessing about weather on my departure after a few days, made the diversion decision complicated.

Upon leaving after a few days, the weather outlook was wrong and the smoke never cleared from my original destination. If I had squeaked in, I would not have been able to depart.

Like I said, the plane flies better than the pilot.

Here are pictures:
Lake Tulare
Mt Shasta
Crater Lake
Mt Lassen
Lake tahoe
Hetch Hetchy
Yosemite,

Attachments

• IMG_5029.jpg
    IMG_5029.jpg
    187.9 KB · Views: 168
  • IMG_5185.jpg
    IMG_5185.jpg
    190.7 KB · Views: 191
  • IMG_5170.jpg
    IMG_5170.jpg
    147.9 KB · Views: 171
  • IMG_5268.jpg
    IMG_5268.jpg
    267.9 KB · Views: 146
  • IMG_5232.jpg
    IMG_5232.jpg
    416.3 KB · Views: 169
  • IMG_5213.jpg
    IMG_5213.jpg
    123.6 KB · Views: 162
Last edited:
A couple of hours flown in different directions because... well... because I can.

Some of the 2+ hours was spent following a friend in his Cessna 206 up to Siberia - a remote location in Aspring National Park. While he stopped for a picnic lunch with his wife I provided top cover CAP :D

Stunning flying conditions were had and I wish I'd taken the GoPro with me as I could have got some fantastic footage. Rats!. Next time!

Awesome photo! Gorgeous plane! Curious as to what airport you fly out of. We're going to be in Queenstown at the end of October and I was wondering where the "cool" planes will be.

Johnson Creek

Five of us flew to Johnson from the Salt Lake area on Friday, a 6A, a 7A, an 8, my 9A, and a Mooney.

Pirep: The field is in great condition. There is only 1 courtesy car available but many bikes to make the trip into Yellow Pine. The "new" caretaker house and pilot shower building is out of service until September. The old shower house, fridge, microwave, wifi is still there.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/SU9z82zvJbRwHxNg9

Bucket List Someday

Steve
I absolutely loved your pictures of Johnson Creek.

I sure would love to mark that off my bucket list someday.

Thank You Again for the wonderful pictures. I enjoyed them!!

Respectfully

Darren Kerns
RV7 N599DT
KFRH

I picked up my new RV-3 project! Looking forward to tackling this puzzle.

Attachments

• IMG_4538.jpg
    IMG_4538.jpg
    205.5 KB · Views: 118
  • IMG_4539.jpg
    IMG_4539.jpg
    207 KB · Views: 119
I gave my son in law his first ride in a small plane. He loved it.

Attachments

• IMG_5231.jpg
    IMG_5231.jpg
    410.3 KB · Views: 124
  • IMG_5250.jpeg
    IMG_5250.jpeg
    938.3 KB · Views: 139
Interior install

Wrapping up interior install before 1st flight next week.

Attachments

• IMG_1691.jpg
    IMG_1691.jpg
    460.6 KB · Views: 98
Shoot approaches with new Dynon HDX. Lots to learn. Wow!
And flying around with best friend!

Attachments

• 20230828_170942.jpg
    20230828_170942.jpg
    451.3 KB · Views: 80
  • 20230823_201909.jpg
    20230823_201909.jpg
    286.3 KB · Views: 96
  • 20230826_112121.jpg
    20230826_112121.jpg
    230.1 KB · Views: 81
Back