What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

What did you do w/your RV this weekend? (5/18-19/2024)

DeltaRomeo

doug reeves: unfluencer
Staff member
Working over the weekend on extra paper routes for the F/S/C, so no RV this time around (yuck). WX is beautiful here in N.TX.

Hope the flying weather is also nice where you are this weekend, and looking forward to reading some of them things people did this weekend.

v/r,dr

Last edited:
I restarted work on building my -14. A two month hiatus while I moved the plane to the airport, moved to a new home, sold our existing home, life in general. It feels great to be back building.

While working on fuel tanks, I had a look inside. The view was kind of cool.

IMG_8995.jpeg

IMG_3836.jpeg
IMG_3834.jpeg

Dirt guy that had been on (not really) the job for several years retired, finally found a new guy that’s been getting dirt moved and shaped and things done.

Water that was running across the runway is now running down the sides, shooting for 2500x60. Things were pretty flat to begin with (Kansas) but still moved about 15,000 yds of dirt. Earlier this week the dirt they moved made sense but was awful clumpy, like 4WD tractor bad.

Couple days with the grader and it’s coming along, I was pretty impressed driving the suburban down it at 50mph and there’s still a decent amount of work to do before I plant the grass seed I’ve had for 2 years…….

My wife and I flew from KTEW Mason MI to KMIE Muncie IN for lunch with Kyle college friends. Almost 4 hour drive or 70 min flight. Nice and smooth but clouds came in so we had to climb to 8000 to go over them on the way back.
IMG_6885.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_6897.jpeg
    IMG_6897.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 37
Not exactly done this weekend (unless your weekend starts on a Wednesday), but.......should be shared.

Crossing the Grand Canyon southbound at 12500 MSL, from near the north rim lodge (VPGCG) to the south rim lodge (VPGCF).

IMG_1684.JPEG

View attachment 63103View attachment 63104

Dirt guy that had been on (not really) the job for several years retired, finally found a new guy that’s been getting dirt moved and shaped and things done.

Water that was running across the runway is now running down the sides, shooting for 2500x60. Things were pretty flat to begin with (Kansas) but still moved about 15,000 yds of dirt. Earlier this week the dirt they moved made sense but was awful clumpy, like 4WD tractor bad.

Couple days with the grader and it’s coming along, I was pretty impressed driving the suburban down it at 50mph and there’s still a decent amount of work to do before I plant the grass seed I’ve had for 2 years…….
My strip looked like yours two years ago. Even last year it was still mostly dirt. But, this spring after another round of seed and fertilizer it really filled in. Now, if I can just keep the elk off of it. Hope you enjoy yours as much as I’m enjoying mine.

Attachments

• IMG_3344.jpeg
    IMG_3344.jpeg
    4.2 MB · Views: 104
Almost done with the second round of elevators (no LCP), and did the first cutting on my QB fuse (delivered two weeks ago). Stopped to buy more double sided tape and nibblers (got both a hand set and a drill attachment) to do get closer then rough cut on the fuse gear holes.

IMG_6575.jpegIMG_6579.jpegIMG_6592.jpeg

Finished up the rudder on N184P after LCP resolution. Luckily I had deferred building the empennage to finish up the QB wings while I had skilled help available during the winter.
Also checked gear alignment on N184WM. Need a couple shims to pull it into spec. A tad too much toe-in. It's friggin' hot down here!

Attachments

• DateStamper_0214.jpg
    DateStamper_0214.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 37
View attachment 63103View attachment 63104

What seed? I checked a bag of Sodar wheatgrass I had that was like, 3+ yrs old. Yup, it germinated just fine , not very high seed mortality either….

My strip looked like yours two years ago. Even last year it was still mostly dirt. But, this spring after another round of seed and fertilizer it really filled in. Now, if I can just keep the elk off of it. Hope you enjoy yours as much as I’m enjoying mine.
Nice group of cows. I’m a little low on elk tenderloins…. Hummmm.

Reactions: cjs
I restarted work on building my -14. A two month hiatus while I moved the plane to the airport, moved to a new home, sold our existing home, life in general. It feels great to be back building.

While working on fuel tanks, I had a look inside. The view was kind of cool.

View attachment 63055
I smell ProSeal in your future...

I just finished SB 00043 (Elevator Cracks); I smell ProSeal everywhere...

Very Nice!!
I planted an Elk Skull last year hoping they start replicating and growing around my house. Worst case I’ll have a barn Euro Mount.

What seed? I checked a bag of Sodar wheatgrass I had that was like, 3+ yrs old. Yup, it germinated just fine , not very high seed mortality either….
Buffalo grass from Bamert Seed MuleShoe Tx, it’s still in the air as the grading isn’t finished it’s been raining and my optimum plating window is fading.

I was able to get in a nice x-country with my Son in the RV-6. Just about 800 nautical round trip in about 6 hours or so with the fuel stop.

Wonderful weekend.

Attachments

• IMG_0301.jpeg
    IMG_0301.jpeg
    214.1 KB · Views: 27
Reactions: SPX
Back