What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Wet Icom A6 Handheld

hydroguy2

Well Known Member
I carry a Icom A6 as a backup radio. This past weekend we were headed to Cabin Creek Landing for a Homeowners meeting and fly-in. Had to drive to do other stuff going on, but brought my radio anyway since we were camping on the field.
Radio was secure in a bag in the back....but the 5 gallon water jug got tipped over and filled the bag. Radio was soaked for <5 minutes. I pulled the battery and drained everything. then set everything opened up on the hood to dry out. It took 1/2 a day to get all the moisture off the display screen.

Today I popped the battery back in and it seemed to power up ok. BUT the display shows "OVER V" and nothing else works.

Any ideas to try before I send it somewhere for service or is it toast? :(

Last edited:
Let it dry out for a few days, then drop it in a Ziploc bag with some (uncooked) rice for a week or so. Worked for a smaller electronic device I'd run through the dishwasher. It's worth a try.

Put the radio with out the battery in a container of alcohol. Swish it around for a bit then let it drip out. Do it again then let it air dry for a few days. The alcohol will absorb the water and not damage the radio. Put the battery back in and it should be good to go. You can also put the radio in your wife's oven at the lowest temperature setting, around 150 degrees, but make sure it isn't any hotter and that will speed up the drying process. If you ever drop a radio etc into salt water get the battery out right away and then submerg the radio in fresh water till you can deal with it properly.

Ya'know, I really want to make a crack about you being the "hydroguy"

But, I think I will restrain myself:rolleyes:

Just use the rice. The rice attracts Asians who will fix your electronics while you sleep. :D

(This message approved by George Takei.)

Last edited:
Put the radio with out the battery in a container of alcohol. Swish it around for a bit then let it drip out. Do it again then let it air dry for a few days. The alcohol will absorb the water and not damage the radio. Put the battery back in and it should be good to go. You can also put the radio in your wife's oven at the lowest temperature setting, around 150 degrees, but make sure it isn't any hotter and that will speed up the drying process. If you ever drop a radio etc into salt water get the battery out right away and then submerg the radio in fresh water till you can deal with it properly.

If you douse your electronics with alcohol, please don't subsequently put them in a gas oven (and an electric oven is probably just as dangerous). How can this be a good idea?

Isopropyl alcohol or something stronger?

A couple of things:

The alcohol works when used right away after a device gets wet. It displaces the water (and it's tiny contaminants) away from the exposed electronic contacts and hopefully prevents corrosion. If it is dry, or partially dry, before dunking in the alcohol the contaminants are already attached to the contacts and probably won't be displaced by the alcohol. Corrosion will kill it over time if it comes back to life after drying.

If using an oven to dry, use an electric one. A gas oven creates moisture during combustion and the radio will be cooler than the air and the moisture will condense on it. Kind of opposite of the desired outcome.

Rice, or desiccant, works best to dry it out. Just takes some time. Will still have the corrosion issue later though.

Mark

Last edited:
If I submersed it in any thing to revive it, it would be corrosionx. I have seen a radio at snf running in this stuff. Otherwise I think it is gone. Good luck. & keep us posted. :eek:
P1000459.jpg

A couple of things:

<snip> Will still have the corrosion issue later though.

Mark

1. hopefully the water was not tap water - ie. with dissolved solids.
2. Won't ACF-50 take displace the water and provide nonconductive protection against corrosion? I have used it in switches of stored cars to eliminate contact corrosion.

Good luck!! Let us know if it recovers.

Mel - I have used isopropyl in the past, just get the low water content version at the store.

Oops - I see Turbo has the same idea - CorrosionX

Last edited:
Back