What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

WDYDWYRTW? 7/13-7/14 2024

Kyle Boatright

Well Known Member
Washed airplane. Went flying. Saw this at the home field.
Mystery Airplane.jpg

A couple of pics taken by my backseater of ‘ArlingtonRV’ in his RV-8, coming back from lunch on Saturday.

image2 (1).jpeg

image3 (1).jpeg

And safely tucked into the hangar afterwards:

image1 (1).jpeg

Last edited:
Flew down to Independence, OR, which I had only visited once before. I have a friend who lives there, so I hung out with him for a while, went up with his wife for a quick flight in the RV, and we spent some time checking out the hangar/shop at EAA 292 where he’s a member. Probably the coolest part was getting to chat with Barnaby Wainfan and see how the two-seat Facetmobile (now called BatRay) is coming along. If you’re not aware of this project, here is a link to Barnaby’s Oshkosh presentation about it. He’s doing an update on Wednesday of next week for those of you who will be at OSH.
IMG_9508.jpeg

Some formation flying with KC Flight at the Wings Over Whiteman 2024 show at Whiteman Air Force Base, MO. “Tinker” was the lead for a 10 ship RV FFI routine. He did a great job, we might have to just keep him for one more day………. Couple new guys- “Boom Boom” and “Igor” as the new #2 & #4 pilots and we might just have to keep them too. They were rock solid formation pilots all weekend and a hoot to hang out with- both funny guys.

IMG_7907.jpeg

IMG_7897.jpeg

IMG_7924.jpeg

Last edited:
My longest adventure (so far).

Nordics 2024-07 HB-YMM RV-8.png

A nice group of RVs and lots of other aircraft at the Kuhmo fly-in (https://www.kuik.fi/english/) and a great welcome by the organizer. This picture does not do it justice as it's essentially after the fly-in ended, before we departed. There were lots of aircraft and 100s of visitors from the village. Thanks to Dan57 for the idea to fly there. I hope to make it back next year!

IMG_2058.jpg

One strange thing for me is that my GRT EFIS synthetic vision and maps stopped working above the 60th parallel, which added an additional challenge to flying in the fjords of Norway. I thought it was the ruskies messing with us, since we were pretty close to the border, but it was the data source that GRT uses, they tell me.

One strange thing for me is that my GRT EFIS synthetic vision and maps stopped working above the 60th parallel, which added an additional challenge to flying in the fjords of Norway. I thought it was the ruskies messing with us, since we were pretty close to the border, but it was the data source that GRT uses, they tell me.
Was it a fault, or does the GRT just not work north of the 60th parallel?

Was it a fault, or does the GRT just not work north of the 60th parallel?
GRT told me that their data provider only goes up to 60 degrees. I've asked if this can be changed, but have not yet heard back (weekend). All the EFIS functions still worked, but didn't show data. Thankfully I had my ipad with skydemon to keep me away from rocks. And my eyes, since I'm flying VFR.

GRT told me that their data provider only goes up to 60 degrees. I've asked if this can be changed, but have not yet heard back (weekend). All the EFIS functions still worked, but didn't show data. Thankfully I had my ipad with skydemon to keep me away from rocks. And my eyes, since I'm flying VFR.
Looks like an awesome trip, Mickey! Have any other pictures you'd like to share?

Back