What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

WD 1215 WELDMENT -- CHECK

Status
Not open for further replies.
Take Reasonably

Apprenticeship Program is what I am referring to and you well know it!!! At no time did I suggest that some Father was teaching his son in some garage some place on the parts you are putting in your airplane. An Apprenticeship Program is where new craftsmen learn there craft under the direct supervision of those that came before him, with ought this it wont be long before there is no one left to weld your parts.

This may be true in your shop.
But one thing for sure is that I don?t know it.
I have caught welders on my construction sites teaching there sons how to weld on building were the contracts call for certified welders. I had to throw them off the site and the test cost to fix it became a legal battle.

If a monkey can pass the test how come you welders can?t?

Take Reasonably Admit it and tell us it won't Happen Again

A visual inspection is not the way that proves the Quality of a weld, only that it was welded by someone.
Random testing of parts that are welded by a named welder is the only way to know if his parts are safe
this is the part we are differing in joe- I am not saying the builder needs to be able to inspect to a level that a trained, certified welder should, only that they should be able to tell the difference between tack welded parts and a part with a full length weld

The finished weld should be inspected for undercut, overlap, surface checks, cracks, or other defects. Also, the degree of penetration and side wall fusion, extent of reinforcement, and size and position of the welds are important factors in the determination as to whether a welding job should be accepted or rejected, because they all reflect the qualify of the weld

In my view if had to pay $200.00 dollars more to have the parts welded by a certified named welder is well worth it.
I would rather buy the Insurance before the accident

there was a write up in some magazine about a builder who dye inspected his whole tube frame, while it seemed somewhat overboard to me if that is what it took to make him feel the parts were welded properly i give him credit for doing what he thought was necessary. With your above statement "paying $200..." are you going to follow up on that?

This is not a house/ commercial construction trade where everyone has for a long time tried to pawn off (or their insurance company lawyers try to blame anyone but themselves) any mistakes or pass the liability to someone else. I'm saying the builder is the final authority on the parts, no matter where he gets them from. That does not mean that i think there is something wrong for Van's to put out two parts that were tack welded, and i personally do hope someone gets corrected in their company and proper inspection takes place from now on. From a statistic standpoint, i wonder how many welded parts van's has produced and how many have escaped being inspected to the difference between a tack weld and a full weld?

Well Joe, I have a very small shop where there is no opportunity to have happen what you had on your job, that is your problem don?t project it on to me or my shop.

I did earlier in this thread take responsibility for welds being missed in my shop, several over the past 20 years, as for the welds in question in this thread I can not take responsibility as these parts as well as all the RV-12 weldments come from another source that I have no control over.

I?m a vendor for Van?s and one of the few that come hear and try to help out when I can, there are a lot of folks on hear that appreciate that and some like you that can?t stop digging even after the problem in question has been addressed. This is why most of the guys with the most experience often don?t frequent forums like this and I am about ready to join them.

This thread should have been locked down directly after Van?s issued there S/B.

Danny 7

I should bite my tongue but I'm not. I find you errogant and not realizing the obvious. It was a faulty part. Bottom line. A "master amazing greatest on earth welder" or the no experience person could have missed this. As far as I am concerned the issue is resolved and there is no more use of this thread.

you know what, its not fine. I apologize for my poor communication, i would not want to come across as arrogant. My desire was to :

1. reinforce that while vans has responsibility, the builder is the final authority and responsibility, much the same way the pilot is when he is flying.

2. encourage anyone to know the difference between tack welds and proper welds.

OK, you few guys that have decided to make this a personal argument/attack page can go take it someplace else. This one is locked - you can't seem to play nice.

I don't think there is anything else technical for the community to learn from this one, and VAF is not a place to watch a street brawl.

Doug can correct me if I am wrong.

[ed. Doug concurs. I was about to shut the thread down but Paul beat me to it. dr]

Paul

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back