What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Washington State Aircraft Excise tax

SHIPCHIEF

Well Known Member
Washington flyers call and or email your state senators to oppose SB 6873 which will impose a .5% annual excise tax on the value of your aircraft.
Time is short, point out that flying is already excessively regulated and taxed at every turn etc. etc.
$500 per year just because you own it is rather excessive.
This tax could put you out of flying altogether and kill the struggling aviation industry and all it's related jobs in the state. A net revenue loss similar to the federal excise tax on luxury boats over $100,000 that killed the custom boat building industry in Washington, which had to be repealed to reduce the damage.

The State of Washington will not be happy until everyone moves away. Hopefully they will realize at that point they don't have to provide all these "services" no one wants since no one will be left to pay for them or to use them.

Bill status

I thought this passed but I realized the original taxes changes were in SB 6143 and this bill passed without the aircraft changes, it looks like a new bill SB 6873 has taken up the cause to increase taxes on aircraft owners and operators

If you are up for some light reading go here and look up the bill numbers: http://apps.leg.wa.gov/billinfo/

Last edited:
Not just residents?

Part VIII sec 802(1) lines 6 - 9
?An annual excise tax is imposed for the privilege of using any aircraft in the state. The amount of the tax is five-tenths of one percent of the taxable value of the aircraft, as determined under section 803 of this act.?

Seems pretty far reaching?

I recall a Northeastern state made the news for trying to collect their Aircraft Excise Tax from an out of state visitor whose plane had been in state for a cumulative 90 days over several trips?
I don't see any moral way to justify that. You would think the State would be greatful someone would fly into their state to spend some money?
The Aviation Industry is so badly damaged by Homeland Security, the Economy, and so heavily burdened with taxes, fees, recurent training and maintenance. I don't see any more money being extracted for the government. Increases in tax will kill the goose, and revenue will fall.

I'm still sending emails to my State Reps. to remove the aircraft excise tax from the bill or oppose the bill. The State Senate has removed the aircraft excise tax and the house has put it back in. I guess the Senate recognises the lack of revenue and potential economic damage, but the House just sees class warfare. Our airports look like ghost towns already. The wife unit and I flew to Wenatchee on Monday. The FBO was thrilled to see us and quick to offer the loaner car. We need some economic relief so Aviating can resume!

Back