What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Wanted / Choices in engines For -10

The cowling bulges on the sides. The choice is either have bulging sides or electric fans to cool while on the ground. I'll take the bulging sides. The prop isn't finished yet so I can't cut the cowling.

No rope.
No brakes.
No prop.
Just 300 something HP roaring.
Started up with about two hits once we added enough juice to turn the starter.
Batteries died on the Video Camera so no video.
But she runs!!!!!
Still waiting on the prop. Once it arrives I can fine tune the beast. And that's when I have to tie it down.
Hopefully I can get some video tomorrow.

That big fan looking thing showed up today. It's white, three bladed and 78". Now I can fit the cowl and get this puppy running. The only problem is the wife is going out of town for four days and I have all the kiddie duties to do. She is flying out at noon and the plane is by the airport, maybe I can work on it for two hours before the carpool line forms.

rv6ejguy said:
Bill is working on a 20B RV10 which should be very cool. Yes this is another alternative. In atmo form however these engines are earsplitting and require a very large, heavy muffler to be acceptable. The turbo takes the bark right out, allows lower rpm for better fuel specifics and higher hp at altitude.

The 20B will easily fit under the cowl (top). The wankel is very narrow and will allow for rads on both sides. I have considered a side exit similar to what will be on the Vesta setup, but without the need for bulging the cowl. I call this option the "Thrope" exit. The biggest advantage is the plumbing is fairly easy. The other advantage is that the muffler can be placed under the engine or at the rear lower exit of the cowl. Adkins is selling the Powersport redrive again, it was always a good unit, and the gears allow a 2-3in offset which as Ross said can be helpful. The all-up weight of these engines has been coming in at around 400# that is around 70-100# less than the 540. (from the lyc web site) battery up front is one way to help weight & balance. That weight is from Al G flying in a cozy w/20B and 2 mufflers. His normally aspirated engine was dynoed at 290 HP @ 6600 RPM with a very basic intake and exhaust. There was MUCH more power to be had with tuning, but 290 was more than enough for the Cozy. I am very excited to do a FWF for the 10. Something I have always said though is if you aren't capable of doing considerable engineering yourself I would go conventional. I was the first to mention the ECI 540 clone in this thread so I'm not stuck on only one engine, even if I do prefer the rotary. One of the toughest problems with all V engines is that the shape is hard to fit in the cowl without mods or a remote radiator, (always an option with water cooling), RV6ejguy is using a remote (rad) with his Subaru to allow the turbos close fitment to the engine.
Bill Jepson

Back