What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

W818 Aileron pushrod (dwg15a)

Daniel S.

Well Known Member
Hey all-
I' putting together the aileron pushrods... And have a quick question about the w818 (small pushrod). The plans note the option to weld the ends on this push rod... I'm contemplating having this welded. Are the any draw backs to having this welded together? Or better yet pinned & welded. Thoughts? Thank you!

Aileron Rods

Dan,
I initially attempted to set rivets on the end of the pushrods, but had trouble setting the rivets to my satisfaction. The small diameter rod encouraged the rivets to roll over- at least for me. So, I headed down to the airport and had an A&P weld the ends in place- Much more peace of mind that the rod ends won't slip out.

Jim Diehl 7A

To do it again I would have TIG them. Some have a little clearance issue with those rivets when installed in the wing.

To do it again I would have TIG them. Some have a little clearance issue with those rivets when installed in the wing.

I had the clearance issue Bret refers to. The rivet heads on my p-rods would actually hang up on the edge of the rear spar opening. Called Vans; they said to grind the hole in the rear spar bigger. That solved the problem. If the p-rod was welded, I could have left the holes as is.

Back