What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

VP-X Pro AND GAD-27?

Dad's RV-10

Well Known Member
I’ve got some decisions to make regarding the panel and electrical system in my RV-10. The system will likely be a single battery with a B&C alternator, a Monkworkz backup generator and a VP-X Pro.

There is considerable overlap between the VP-X and the GAD-27, so I’d like to hear some thoughts on whether it’s worthwhile to consider using both.

My RV-7 has no Integrated Battery Back-up System (IBBS) or Intelligent Power Stabilizer (IPS). I normally wait for the GSU-25 to align before engaging the starter but the ADAHRS will almost always realign after starter engagement due to the voltage drop (though the GDU-370's usually stay illuminated). The GAD-27 can eliminate this issue but so can a TCW IPS.

I’ve read that the GAD-27 has separate channels (pilot & copilot) for trim mixing vs. the VP-X and also has slightly different flap and wig-wag management. I’m not sure if any of those are compelling enough to install a GAD-27 with a VP-X Pro?

There’s probably a lot I’m not considering, so I’m interested in hearing the thought and experiences of others.

Thanks.

Vox

I also have the vpx pro with my garmin system. I opted to not have the GAD27 due to the overlap; the GAD27 does give you additional discrete pins, if that interests you.

Same for me as Brantel. I didnt even know what the GAD-27 was until I just looked it up. It looks pretty nice actually.

I have had some issues with Trim display and operation and I keep losing my fuel quantities after calibration. Im going to take my plane up to Midwest Panel Builders and let them give my panel and VPX a once over to make sure everything is configured correctly. There is more than a good chance I dont have the trip set up properly. Ugg!

Been looking at this very issue the last few says. Adding the GAD-27 to the VP-X Pro gives you a few more feature. They may or may not be important to you:

- trim inputs of pilot overwrites those of co-pilot
- trim runaway gets intervened quicker
- wig wag landing lights can be done via switch and not just speed based
- more options how your electric flap button logic works
- some better dim light controlling
- 1-2 freed up switch inputs and 1-2 freed up power outputs on the VPX depending on your landing light setup
- a bunch of more discrete inputs that you can turn. into alerts on your EFIS screen.

Pretty much a summary of this video if you want more details: https://youtu.be/BSR4HUnJNa4?t=1222

Last edited:
This was from Stein a couple years ago when analyzing if a GAD-27 was desirable. Panel is 3 g3x, 650, vpx, pls.

2. In your set up I would not normally recommend adding a GAD27. It would basically be an expensive replacement for you flasher and your dimmers. To use the GAD27 to control your lighting you would need to a different rheostat that gets wired directly into the GAD27. Also, an FYI we there is no lighting circuit on the G5, it is controlled by photocells and manual dimming in the menu only. We also normally leave the GMC off of the lighting bus because its curve is reversed from the rest of the Garmin avionics, meaning when everything else gets dim it get brighter. This can be corrected if you use a GAD27 though.

3. While it provides additional discretes I don't think you will need them.

Last edited:
Gad 27 and Vertical Power

With Gamins new Advanced Guage Configuration information that the Vertical Power system transmits to the G3X (Flaps and trim) can't be used since we can't set a logic signal to a flap or trim input or at least I have not found a way. The Advanced Guage Configuration is really well done, and I miss not being able to use it for flaps and trim. If this is correct (And I could be wrong) I would have installed the GAD27 along with the VPX.

With Gamins new Advanced Guage Configuration information that the Vertical Power system transmits to the G3X (Flaps and trim) can't be used since we can't set a logic signal to a flap or trim input or at least I have not found a way. The Advanced Guage Configuration is really well done, and I miss not being able to use it for flaps and trim. If this is correct (And I could be wrong) I would have installed the GAD27 along with the VPX.

G3X expert said on another post they will consider working on this functionality in the future.

I plan on having the GAD27 and VPX in my plane but plan to only use the VPX for the ECB feature and run the other features thru the GAD.

Back