What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Voltage regulator help.

Don Patrick

Well Known Member
I have a Kelly Aerospace (now Hartzell) alternator for my engine. It's an ALX-8521-LS. It's a 12 volt, 70 amp alternator that is not internally regulated.

Any suggestions on what voltage regulator to use with this?

I'm using a VP-100 in the 8.
Thanks

I suspect that either the B&C LR3C-14 or PlanePower R1224 would serve you well. Both are available at Aircraft Spruce.

David

Look up Transpo V1200 regulator on the internet. About $90.00 if I remember correctly. Nice piece, adjustable, with overvoltage protection. It's not purpose made for aviation so I'm sure I'm fixing to get flamed.

Look up Transpo V1200 regulator on the internet. About $90.00 if I remember correctly. Nice piece, adjustable, with overvoltage protection. It's not purpose made for aviation so I'm sure I'm fixing to get flamed.

Probably not as much as I would be if I was to suggest a regulator from a mid-70's Ford (about $20US). :D
But it would work just fine.

Ahhh - but Sam it's not voltage adjustable and doesn't have overvoltage protection like the Transpo. Same hookup tho. Either one will work, just pay more for more features I guess. You can also get the overvoltage protection with one of Bob's crowbars added to the Ford regulator circuit and save a few bucks there. Lots of choices out there.

What I like about about an external regulator like these is you can get them about anywhere if you break down somewhere. Also you can mount them out of the heat of the cowling area and they should last about forever. Same goes for the B&C and others as well.

Just like the alternator threads - everyone has an opinion - and mine's the best acording to me!!!!

One advantage of adjustable V and OVP

I have a Kelly Aerospace (now Hartzell) alternator for my engine. It's an ALX-8521-LS. It's a 12 volt, 70 amp alternator that is not internally regulated.

Any suggestions on what voltage regulator to use with this?

I'm using a VP-100 in the 8.
Thanks

If you think you might want to ever use a Lithium battery (like EarthX) then an adjustable regulator with over voltage would allow you to ensure that you fly save and light.

Regulator

Probably not as much as I would be if I was to suggest a regulator from a mid-70's Ford (about $20US). :D
But it would work just fine.
I have the same hartzell alternator as you on my IO-540, and I use one of the aftermarket Ford regulators. For 18 bucks, I carry a spare, haven't needed it yet.

After market Ford reg...have a part number for it?

Just ask for a regulator for a 1975 Ford LTD, or whatever the big sedan was called in Canada.

Yes, VR166 should be easily crossed over to whatever your local auto parts emporium has in stock. I've been flying this regulator for 16 years along with a crowbar over-voltage module.

Back