What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Vinyl wrap

Wrap

Is there anything about wrapping your complete aircraft
I was told u can’t
Danny carley

That would be a problem because I have several friends with vinyl wrapped airplanes. I've seen lots of them at Airventure. Plus, I have two rolls of 3M 2080 to wrap mine.
I did paint fiberglass parts because the heat on the cowl can be a problem and it's a real pain to wrap stuff like pants and tips. I also alodined the exterior for corrosion protection. I'm trying to keep the weight down.
People always say it can't be done till someone does it.

I did complete RV10 vinyl wrap not long time ago.

1. Vinyl sticks well to metal, vinyl does not want to stick to fiberglass parts. I had to prime cowlings and cabin top first, then put two layers of clearcoat over it. After that vinyl sticks well!

2. After ~40 hours of flying with vinyl I must say that it stays 99% good. There are however few spots (especially at the edges) where it tries to unstick. I had to use clear tape to fix it.

3. At the bottom cowl in the areas where exhaust pipes are inside I see some bubbling of vinyl after landing (around hottest spots). After 30 minutes everything disappears (cowl cools down).

4. I recommend to use highest quality vinyl as our speeds are higher then vehicle's so probability of vinyl unsticking is higher with cheap quality vinyl.

5. It looks great and what is most important - it weights and costs less than to paint airplane. At any time you still can remove vinyl and paint airplane if desired

6. I did not find any legal information saying that I could not do that. With the same time many airplanes at my field here are vinyl wrapped and flying just fine for years.

:D

Attachments

• IMG-8871.jpg
    IMG-8871.jpg
    271.1 KB · Views: 198
Yes you can wrap your RV…..

I wrapped KELLI GIRL in 2015. Here’s the saga:
https://vansairforce.net/community/showthread.php?t=132000

Now, before you open that thread to get smart on wrapping your aircraft, let me tell you the wrap was great for a day/VFR/VMC airplane. Since then, I upgraded KELLI GIRL to IFR and have not been shy about flying her through rain. Vinyl does not stand up to precip at RV speeds. I’m dealing with impact-related surface abrasion to the vinyl’s surface.

In addition, the vinyl on the belly won’t stay adhered thanks to belly oil and, especially, smoke oil. It peels off and won’t re-stick.

So here’s the bottom line:
- Vinyl looked great for the first 100 hours.
- Vinyl degraded QUICKLY, in part because of my own changes to the airplane’s mission sets.
- KELLI GIRL goes into GLO Custom Paint’s barn in November. The vinyl is coming off. I should have painted her from the get go.

I should have never wrapped KELLI GIRL. It was awesome, and then it wasn’t.

Last edited:
Vinyl rocks

It can be done, and has been done. Whether or not it's compatible with lots of flying thru rain I can't say, but there are definite benefits. Vinzer seems to like it and so do I. Mine doesn't have the belly adhesion problems mentioned. I did paint my cowl and wheel pants due to the tight curves and potential heat issues.

There are drawbacks, but overall I think it was a good choice that should last for 5+ years (mine lives in a hangar, 2 years old and 275 hours).

Pros: Light, cheap ($1500), very slippery, repairable, do it yourself with no solvents. Most people think it's painted.

Cons: Less durable (especially on sharp edges, tape is the gouge), probably mostly a DIY project unless you can talk a car shop into coming out

It helped get my plane in the air in an 2 extra weeks vice ??? months/years for paint at the end of Covid.

Someday it will go to the paint shop, but until then I'm spending my savings on gas!

Cheers

Attachments

• 515Wb side shot invert.jpg
    515Wb side shot invert.jpg
    307.4 KB · Views: 127
+1

IMO paint the plane a base color like white and use vinyl for trim and stripes. Paint lasts longer

I think this is a good compromise and is what I did although my scheme is not that complicated. 12+ years and the vinyl trim still holding up well.
view

EXP aircraft, no worries

As others have mentioned, many have done it, and I've seen some nice ones on RV's and other EXP aircraft. However, its not so easy in all cases with certified aircraft, and requires careful attention to the regs. There are limitations and good reasons for most of them, as well as STC's for certain films and coverage area limitations for films. As an AP/IA, I have read a little, but don't know all the specifics. There are legitimate factors for water entrapment and peel-off criteria and other issues that the FAA has focus on (Certified aircraft).

Back