What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Videos of my RV-6 Wide open and at Cruise 218mph Indicated

rv969wf

Well Known Member
I haven't posted or been on VAF for a LONG LONG time so I decided to post a video of my RV to show what these things can do and to help motivate folks to get their RV projects completed and in the air! I took this video 1-3-2013 of my RV down low near my base airport wide open to see what she'd do. 3,000ft MSL, indicated airspeed 217-218mph/188knots, 28.8" manifold pressure x 2,680RPM, 47f/9C outside temp, 15.7 gph, 227mph ground with bumpy air and no wind conditions. Yes it's past redline. I've done flutter testing at this speed with caution. I wouldn't advice going past redline without proper attention to much detail with every aspect of the airplane. My airplane is not stock VAN spec btw. To date I have 696 hours on my RV and I LOVE it!!!! The second video is cruising at 7,500 ft on a trip.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2zwiMMBEMH8&feature=youtu.be

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dtIwhaSiu_4&feature=youtu.be

Do you just realize that you just provided proof to the FAA that your aircraft requires 12" N numbers?

Reference Title 14 CFAR 45.29.

Nice. 12"or 3" N numbers,doesn't matter...I like it.

I might need to dump some work tomorrow and go do a test run myself. Maybe down low over the ice.

Gary;
I'm no expert, but 'max power top speed' isn't the same as 'max continuous rated power top speed'.
I'm just sayin'

Hi Erik

Wow. Do you have mods to get 28" of mp? Or is that normal
Hi Erik, a few years ago I posted pictures and such on VAF of some of the Mods that I have done on my RV-6. All of my gauges have been calibrated and tested. 28.8" manifold pressure at 3,000 ft is accurate. I pull almost 1.2"-1.5" above NORM with my air intake design. If you want to see other pictures, do a search under my user name rv969wf and you'll find some interesting articles that I posted a long time ago with the Mods that I have done to my RV-6. Cheers. AJ

Good to see you back

Alan, welcome back:D:D

Stay around for a long time, I enjoy your stuff.

I probably won't ever get my RV to be as speedy as you're but is good to know what possible when you pay attention to the details !

Outstanding, AJ...good to see you back.

BTW guys, IIRC, most of AJ's speed gains come from FWF mods, no?

Best,

Welcome Back !

Alan ! Glad you are still out there and kicking - and kicking fast at that!

Are you still happy with your custom oil door opening? I have dozens of pictures from years ago at OSH where you had your cowling off and showed all (most) of your FWF mods. I plan on using some of them as that phase is imminent on my build.

Do you still have pictures of that red beauty out on Yahoo?

For those here that have not seen AJ's -6, the mods rival innovative work in the class of DanH.

Good to see your post again, Alan. I've got a pdf file on your previous submissions here and will be getting back to it after the 8 is flying....your FWF work is excellent.

I feel sorry for that 6 going 218 mph, it was never intended to work so hard. :)

Awesome. As a side note, my per plans no mods 180hp 6 will reach VNE WOT down low, but that's all she's got.
I would love to see the mods.

Alan ! Glad you are still out there and kicking - and kicking fast at that!

Are you still happy with your custom oil door opening? I have dozens of pictures from years ago at OSH where you had your cowling off and showed all (most) of your FWF mods. I plan on using some of them as that phase is imminent on my build.

Do you still have pictures of that red beauty out on Yahoo?

For those here that have not seen AJ's -6, the mods rival innovative work in the class of DanH.

Hi Bill, yes I'm very happy with the Oil cooler door opening, it works great and I can control my temps really easy. I don't think I have any pictures out on Yahoo. I have a few on my Facebook. Thanks, Alan

Back