What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Vertical Power VPX Pro + Dual PMAGs

Vertical Power VPX Pro + Dual PMAGs

• Total voters

bkervaski

Hellloooooooo!
Testing
Looking for advice. Installing dual PMAGs on a Vertical Power VPX Pro system. There are two options:

1. Use the VPX Pro to power the PMAGs until their onboard generator takes over, this simplifies everything greatly. I like this.

2. Use a dedicated IBBS battery to power the PMAGs through physical circuit breakers with a pass-thru to the main battery (already installed, would remove if choice 1 is the way to go).

Separate PMAG run-up test switches in either case.

I can see benefits to both, leaning towards simplicity. Any advice is appreciated!

Thats what I did

I have dual PMags and the VPX pro set up that way. Dedicated power pins to the PMags, enable and test switches through two DPDT switches on the panel for off - on - test. Wiring was super simple. attached is a screenshot from my wiring diagram. (not shown - pmags powered by VPX J8 pin 5 and 6. Switches enable those pins)

Screenshot 2024-01-01 at 2.10.15 PM.png

One switch programmed to turn on dual outputs to the VPX. Then you can test each PMag using the EFIS to individually remove power to each mag. No reason for a bunch of switches.

The Pmag will prefer its internal alternator most of the time. You can see this happen on the EFIS when the current drops to zero.

Last edited:
P-mags

I wired mine per "option 2" of the VP-X install manual and used a coupl of OFF-ON-(MOM) switches from Steinair that are advertised as "The PMag Switch".

https://www.steinair.com/product/locking-toggle-switch-p-mag-test-on-on-mom/

I have an AFS/ACM. Similar to the VPX except they recommend P-mags powered by dedicated power. I have the same switches. Power is off the Master Contactor to breakers on the panel then back to the P-mags. If the ACM fails, the mags still have power. Unless the master fails too. Oh my. So many decisions.

Looking for advice. Installing dual PMAGs on a Vertical Power VPX Pro system. There are two options:

1. Use the VPX Pro to power the PMAGs until their onboard generator takes over, this simplifies everything greatly. I like this.

2. Use a dedicated IBBS battery to power the PMAGs through physical circuit breakers with a pass-thru to the main battery (already installed, would remove if choice 1 is the way to go).

Separate PMAG run-up test switches in either case.

I can see benefits to both, leaning towards simplicity. Any advice is appreciated!

I have PMAG powered via TCW 3A IBBS. This provides additional layer of safety + allows PMAG to actually start my engine even when I have to crank for longer than normal time and battery voltage drops.
Connecting PMAG direct or via VPX to main battery will make battery voltage a factor for successful start of your engine. Use of IBBS as a power source for PMAG will eliminate this type of dependency.

My installation wasn't a voting option.

I have an independent ebus with a secondary alternator and a dedicated earthx battery. The pmags are connected via breakers to a shared buss that can be isolated to either the main buss or the ebuss.

Back