What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Vertical Power VP-X Electronic Circuit Breaker System

bbaggerman

Has anyone installed / used the Vertical Power VP-X Electronic Circuit Breaker (ECB) System? It looks like a nifty system to replace those kind of clunky fuses. I'd love to free up some panel space on my -12. Looks like it will interface directly with my Dynon system.

I was always a little dubious of ECB but when they started showing up on the C-130J I talked to some maintenance crews about them. They loved them. When problems cropped up the ECBs gave them a lot more data about what was going on with the electrical system.

I have an Adanced Flight Systems panel. The heart of the system is an electronic circuit breaker system called the ACM that has multiple plug and play harnesses.
It is awesome. I am sure VP-X great too

Has anyone installed / used the Vertical Power VP-X Electronic Circuit Breaker (ECB) System? It looks like a nifty system to replace those kind of clunky fuses. I'd love to free up some panel space on my -12. Looks like it will interface directly with my Dynon system.

I was always a little dubious of ECB but when they started showing up on the C-130J I talked to some maintenance crews about them. They loved them. When problems cropped up the ECBs gave them a lot more data about what was going on with the electrical system.

I have a VPX pro in my RV-10. For ten years it’s worked exactly as advertised. I have no complaints.

With that said, I also recommend the AFS ACM. It functions very similar to the VPX. It wasn’t available when I built. The ACM has additional functionality which makes installing your avionics easier. If I was building a new aircraft, I would use the ACM. I have an AFS panel.

The thing I like the most is that when you are troubleshooting an issue, you can see the current draw on a per circuit basis.

You can’t go wrong with either solution, but since you are installing a Dynon solution I would recommend the AFS ACM. I would recommend calling AFS to explain all the features of the ACM.

I have been flying with VPX Sport in my RV7 for 8 years now and I love it! Although I can see why others like the simplicity and reliability of standard breakers. I love that I can rearrange my toggle switches to control different things and has come in handy adding things like pmags, smoke system, and cowl vents. On the other hand, if the VPX quit functioning, it would be grounded until it was repaired or replaced!

I put a VPX-Pro in my RV7 many moons ago and it is still serving the new owners well.

It worked great and as advertised.

Head the warning about over torque on the main power input stud nut! Use the proper crimp tool for the connections!

Back