What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Vans Submits Comments to FAA On MOSAIC

Wow! And I thought my comments were a little long and wordy! Mine aren't even the condensed version of the Cliff notes! Well done, Rian! You represented our points-of-opinion well! Now we wait to see what happens......:unsure:

Vans is one of the largest industry stakeholders. For them to NOT comment would be indicative of a problem. Be glad they’re looking towards a future in which they continue to not only exist, but to dominate the GA industry.

Wow! And I thought my comments were a little long and wordy! Mine aren't even the condensed version of the Cliff notes! Well done, Rian! You represented our points-of-opinion well! Now we wait to see what happens......:unsure:
While at AirVenture, I spoke to some of the "gubmint" people associated with MOSAIC. One bit of feedback that I got was that the initial document was a starting point and that they looked forward to the feedback they are now receiving. Of particular interest was the value they expected to be able to place on "high quality" feedback from Rian in his role associated with the matter. I do believe that Rian rose to the occasion.

Just one person's opinion.

The Document was well Detail.

Nobody said anything about designing an airplane that has some access issues like the RV-12iS where you can't maintenance the electrical panel Area
without taking the canopy off or adjusting the rudder pedals without taking more than 5 panels of screws to do this!
Grin... It is a fun airplane to build and fly.... but you better Maintenace it.

MOSAIC NPRM FAA-2023-1377​

While at AirVenture, I spoke to some of the "gubmint" people associated with MOSAIC. One bit of feedback that I got was that the initial document was a starting point and that they looked forward to the feedback they are now receiving. Of particular interest was the value they expected to be able to place on "high quality" feedback from Rian in his role associated with the matter. I do believe that Rian rose to the occasion.

Just one person's opinion.
Make that at least TWO people's opinion!

They drafted MOSAIC as a seed-crystal to start the process of modifying the antiquated current regulations. They are sitting somewhere at their desks, most are likely not pilots, and need input from THOSE OF US WHO BUILD AND FLY the aircraft that will be affected by this new and very important set of regulations. It would not surprise me to have a second comment session after the draft of the new regulations is made before the final draft. I actually hope they do this AFTER it is put in place as to not delay its implementation. It is input like Rian's that are from a well-informed source that will be vitally important in their decision making. However long he took (he has likely been working on this for years!) and whatever he was compensated by Van's to put it together, it is worth every CENT of what that took! Again: this is The Mother Ship looking after those of us who build and fly their aircraft. Even with the struggles they are going through currently, they realize the vital importance of what this new set of regulations means to our flying and their industry! What would be interesting would be to compare what other aviation businesses, be they GAMA or E-AB/LSA companies submitted compared to the amazing work Rian accomplished.

Thanks, Mom!

Nobody said anything about designing an airplane that has some access issues like the RV-12iS where you can't maintenance the electrical panel Area
without taking the canopy off or adjusting the rudder pedals without taking more than 5 panels of screws to do this!

I agree, it is not a J-3 Cub or a Champ when it comes to access of systems, but I have a feeling that you have not looked close at or done any work on any of the other popular light sport aircraft.....

All of the people I know that maintain RV-12's pull the EFIS screen (both if it has two). That provides a large opening to access the area which is usually sufficient for most work that has to be done in that area.

Anybody who has ever done a panel overhaul on something with a fixed windscreen (such as a slider RV, or 100 series Cessna, etc), would consider the ability to pull a canopy and forward skin off in a few minutes a true blessing of access.
As Scott mentioned, the nice big efis windows in the panel make for great quick access back there for smaller jobs.

I agree, it is not a J-3 Cub or a Champ when it comes to access of systems, but I have a feeling that you have not looked close at or done any work on any of the other popular light sport aircraft.....
Or production aircraft! Don't get me started about working on a Mooney! 🤬 :ROFLMAO:

Make that at least TWO people's opinion!

They drafted MOSAIC as a seed-crystal to start the process of modifying the antiquated current regulations. They are sitting somewhere at their desks, most are likely not pilots, and need input from THOSE OF US WHO BUILD AND FLY the aircraft that will be affected by this new and very important set of regulations. It would not surprise me to have a second comment session after the draft of the new regulations is made before the final draft. I actually hope they do this AFTER it is put in place as to not delay its implementation. It is input like Rian's that are from a well-informed source that will be vitally important in their decision making. However long he took (he has likely been working on this for years!) and whatever he was compensated by Van's to put it together, it is worth every CENT of what that took! Again: this is The Mother Ship looking after those of us who build and fly their aircraft. Even with the struggles they are going through currently, they realize the vital importance of what this new set of regulations means to our flying and their industry! What would be interesting would be to compare what other aviation businesses, be they GAMA or E-AB/LSA companies submitted compared to the amazing work Rian accomplished.

Thanks, Mom!
I know that he has been working HEAVILY on this while at the same time having been carrying the load of CEO, CTO/Chief Engineer, and sorter-outer of LCP issues over the last six months or so. I don't know how he has been able to do this and sleep for 2 hours a week ( :cool: ). My hat is off to him (and of course the rest of the Van's team).

Also, I REALLY got the feeling that the MOSAIC team **wants** to "do the right thing". Maybe I was hoodwinked, but I feel they want to do this right.

Back