What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Vans oil press GAUGE

Can anyone tell me what would be a suitable oil p gauge to replace the vans one. I have 2 new transducers as supplied by vans, so it’s determined the gauge is kaput. Thanks . Mike

Van's suggested Mitchell gauges to me. I used their oil pressure gauge and it worked fine until Steinair gave me replacement Van's gauge so it would match the others. The Mitchell looks just fine however.

VDO 150-030 Oil Pressure Gauge, 100Psi -- but it's direct feed (1/8" copper tubing). No more worries about senders going bad.

Van's suggested Mitchell gauges to me. I used their oil pressure gauge and it worked fine until Steinair gave me replacement Van's gauge so it would match the others. The Mitchell looks just fine however.
Good morning cloudboy. Can you recall which Mitchell, electric oil press gauge, the 100 psi one or the 150? Thanks. Mike

I used the 100 psi D1-211-5056 gauge and the PS-211-9039 100 psi sending unit. They worked well. Then a member on this site sent me a Van's gauge and I put it in my panel so the gauges would all match. I'm saving the Mitchell gauge as a spare because I know it works.

IssPro Options

I was in a similar position a few months back. ISSPro still makes the same gauge as the Vans gauge but in a 2-1/6” slip in form factor.

I looked at 4 options.

1. 3D Print an adapter that would convert the slip fit to the standard 4 hold aircraft mount. I found a few on the Internet, but still modeled one out to print. I wanted captured nuts to make installing easier.

2. The guts of the new gauge fit directly into the Vans body. Each case comes apart a bit differently. I did confirm the screw posts were in the same locations before I made the swap. Note that the lighting is now different on the new gauge so you will have to reuse the old one.

3. Complete #2 and overlay the Vans gauge face on top of the new gauge face. Both were black so it would require that I cut a slit to allow the face to slide over center pin. I would have to decide if I was going to pull out the low and high pins from the new face or cut them off the vans face. I would use the two screws to secure both faces to the gauge. In the end I did not have the right tools to make this happen so I passed.

4. Since both the new and the vans faceplate had the same range and the same spacing, you can swap the face plates. If you apply a known resistance, frankly any resistance within the gauge range you can establish a known point. I did this a few times and ended up just shy of 80 PSI. You then remove the connections to the gauge and remove the needle. After that swap faceplates, reapply the known resistance and set the needle at the same reading you previously recorded. If you dont feel comfortable removing the needed, I would suspect that most shops that repair clocks or watches would remove the needle for you for a few dollars. You can practice on the old gauge, since it is pretty much trash anyways.

Number 4 was my choice in the end, but I would have been happy with most of them.

Back