What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Vans MAP gauge failed high?

SwimmingDragonfly96

Well Known Member
Hey everyone. On my descent today I glanced down at the MAP gauge and it was pegged on its high limit. Plane was running nice and responding normally to throttle inputs. As I kept going, it seemed to return to normal, kind of hiccuping along the way. Anyone know what could cause this? It’s one of the standard 2-1/4” gauges sold by vans. 7A, o360, CS.

so "high limit" something like 29.9"?

If so then the line/hose that attaches it to the engine has broken / cracked / fallen off

High limit??...
MP.JPG

The installation instructions also contain troubleshooting procedures.

Last edited:
A few years back I was flying home and my plane was slower than normal and just didn't feel right. I diverted to a nearby airport to investigate. After a normal runup and walkaround I noticed my Van's MAP gauge was reading 31" with the engine off, should have been 27-28 at my elevation. A new sending unit cured this until I removed all my Van's engine stuff and replaced with GRT.

These gauges are quite well known for EMI problems.
Does it move to full scale when you key the radio?

I was wondering if it was something like this too. It actually goes towards 0 when I key the mic. I checked it when I landed and it read at 31’ish at my normal airport which is where it always reads there.

Back