What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Van's Fuel Tank Sealing video vs my reality

Thanks for taking us along on this journey. I am a couple months away from fuel tanks and I'm not sure if I'm more nervous or less nervous from your adventures, but I'm definitely more informed!

Congrats on the leak free tanks, and glad you got through it!!

When I built my RV-14A tanks, I mixed up a 6 oz cartridge of CS-3204 B2 for each baffle and applied it using a pneumatic applicator that I got for about $60 on eBay. I laid the tank flat on a workbench to do this, flipping it over after doing the top (or bottom) to do the bottom (or top), then flipping it vertical (leading edge down) to do the rib flanges. I had two assistants, one another new builder who wanted to see and participate in the process and the other currently an ERAU aerospace engineering student. That helped things go a lot faster. Once the tank was in the cradle, two of us carefully lowered the baffle into place and then all three of us started installing clecos to pull everything together. As soon as all the clecos were in I started pulling them out one by one and riveting. Did all the rivets including the Z-brackets in one session so the tank sealant would not have a chance to set up before everything was pulled tightly together.

No leaks in either tank. Yet.

I watched Scott's video about three times, on 1.5x speed. I didn't do things exactly the way he did, but pretty close, I think.

We did this during the pandemic, and someone's brother is alleged to have an immune system problem, hence the masks.
1719006782756.jpeg

1719006799269.jpeg

Back