What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Van’s Aircraft Sign

FletcherLynd

I'm New Here
So the instructions say to install the led lights and connect to the supplied electric adapter. How am I supposed to connect the led wires to the ac/dc adapter? See photo.

Attachments

• 86464535-B153-4435-9A18-8836C528D982.jpg
    86464535-B153-4435-9A18-8836C528D982.jpg
    417 KB · Views: 177

Attachments

• PXL_20230320_022354251 (1).jpg
    PXL_20230320_022354251 (1).jpg
    243.9 KB · Views: 159
Two options: either buy a socket that fits the DC plug and solder it onto the led wires, or cut off the plug from the power supply and splice the wires directly to the led wires. (maintain correct polarity of course)

See pic of a typical socket. It could be fitted to the sign box by drilling a mounting hole in the side or back. Good practice for when the time comes to wire the airplane panel!

Attachments

• P0622.jpg
    P0622.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 58
Last edited:
What a great clock it would make. All you need is the working guts from a cheap battery clock.

And of course make a hinged access panel on the end for easy battery access for additional practice.

Last edited:
So the instructions say to install the led lights and connect to the supplied electric adapter. How am I supposed to connect the led wires to the ac/dc adapter? See photo.

You would think that after designing and selling thousands of great aircraft, they could figure out how to include a $0.25 connector with their kit :eek::eek::eek:

Or they want to teach the new prospective homebuilder that there will be times when they will need to “Improvise, Adapt and Overcome!” during their build (to quote Gunny Highway).

I don't think doing that on the first project is conducive to learning. I'd say it's more conducive to frustration. Someone who's on the fence if they can build a plane starts doubting themselves and there goes the customer, when all he needed was a little bit of guidance.

I don't think we need to have kids skip the first grades and go directly to math and science so they learn to "adapt and overcome". either. Step by step with good instructions, learning more based on what they've already learned, I think that's a better way.

Yikes! It was joke for crying out loud! I'm sure Van's wouldn't leave something out like that to teach a new prospective builder a lesson!

(I went back and added a smiley face to my post for you.)

If you had put those smiley faces in your original comment then I wouldn't have written my post. They weren't there before so there's no way of telling if it was a joke or not and I guess you agree because you added lots of them.

I'm relaxed. You wouldn't know it because i didn't put emojis in my post. Let me help you :D:):D;):):D;) . There, now you see I'm relaxed.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I guess if I have to buy my own controller I’ll get one that I can turn on and off from my phone.

Deciding whether to wrap the LED strip around the sides of the box (more diffuse when looking straight on?), or just along the back (removable, in my case) cover. Comments from folks on the results of their installation?

Deciding whether to wrap the LED strip around the sides of the box (more diffuse when looking straight on?), or just along the back (removable, in my case) cover. Comments from folks on the results of their installation?

I wrapped mine just behind the front panel. I left the inside unpainted, so reflections of the LED bulbs are visible from some angles. Personally, I'd prefer not to see the LED bulbs. Maybe next time I'll shoot the inside with matte, white, primer. ;)

Back