What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Typical RV6A Brake Disc wear limits

Radioflyer

Well Known Member
I'm checking out an RV6A with a logbook entry that shows the brake discs to be at .172" thickness.
My current airplane, similar in weight and speeds to the RV6A, uses Heavy Duty Clevelands with wear limited to .275", as indicated in the Parker/Cleveland manual.
My question is what brake discs are customarily fitted to RV6s and what is their wear limit thickness? I'm thinking that RV6s were not spec'd to use the Cleveland "Heavy Duty" kits with the thicker discs. Is this in fact the case?

I'm checking out an RV6A with a logbook entry that shows the brake discs to be at .172" thickness.
My current airplane, similar in weight and speeds to the RV6A, uses Heavy Duty Clevelands with wear limited to .275", as indicated in the Parker/Cleveland manual.
My question is what brake discs are customarily fitted to RV6s and what is their wear limit thickness? I'm thinking that RV6s were not spec'd to use the Cleveland "Heavy Duty" kits with the thicker discs. Is this in fact the case?

IIRC, standard is the 199-102 wheel and brake package, i.e. 30-9 caliper and 164-01700 disk. Minimum thickness is 0.167".

Cleveland has an upgrade kit to increase the kinetic energy rating, meaning thicker disks for more storage mass. (Opinion warning) I think they're a very fine addition to an A-model, but not needed with a tailwheel model.

DanH, that's the info I was wondering about, thanks. I was just assuming that the higher kinetic energy (thicker) discs would have been standard and so was surprised.

IIRC, standard is the 199-102 wheel and brake package, i.e. 30-9 caliper and 164-01700 disk. Minimum thickness is 0.167".

Cleveland has an upgrade kit to increase the kinetic energy rating, meaning thicker disks for more storage mass. (Opinion warning) I think they're a very fine addition to an A-model, but not needed with a tailwheel model.

DanH,

Do you happen to know the Part Number for this upgrade kit? Can a regular brake system only receive an improved (thicker) disk?

Time is coming to replace the disc, checking my options. I currently have the PN: 164-01700 installed. I wish the price was better for discs... or other manufacturer options.

Thanks.

Back