What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Type of rivet for installing pitch servo

jull_under

Hello All.
I've purchased the RV-4/8 servo mounting kit for Dynon.
Per instructions, this requires to drill out the old bracket & match drill the holes followed by installation in the same place.

As you can tell from the 2nd pic, installing the mount will be challenging in a hard to reach place.

What type and size of rivets did you use to do this...

Option 1 - Pop/Cherrymax. Can you get a rivet squeezer in there. Can a pneumatic squeezer work OR
Option 2 - Solid rivets. This may require removing the main elevator control rod since you won't be able to get the bucking bar in there

Any other ideas?

Thanks !

Attachments

• RV-48-PITCH-SERVO-MOUNTING-KIT-L.jpg
    RV-48-PITCH-SERVO-MOUNTING-KIT-L.jpg
    215.1 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_7353.jpg
    IMG_7353.jpg
    255.3 KB · Views: 79
Looks like it might be fun holding the nuts or bolts inside the channels. Might want to consider installing nut plates as standard on the RV-14. If ever you need to remove the brackets in the future it will be a snap with nut plates.

Looks like you have room in front of the lever assembly, like I did. I chose to mount the servo in front as seen in the pic. I got a 12" piece of 1"x1"x1/8" 7075-t6 angle from Mcmastrer car, as well as the linkage parts. fairly easy install this way and works great.

Attachments

• pitch-servo-RV4.JPG
    pitch-servo-RV4.JPG
    293.7 KB · Views: 94
Is there a paste option somewhere :D

Maybe sort of....

I did at first design a little machined fitting which you can see here 3D printed. The local Amish machine shop wanted 350 bucks to make it. Likely one could get it done cheaper, as it is really a simple part. If you are interested I could send you the 3D model, a fully dimensioned drawing, and/or my 3D printed part for test fitting.

I think your Dynon servos are basically the same size, and you should confirm that before wasting time with this option.

Attachments

• pitch-servo-RV4-2.JPG
    pitch-servo-RV4-2.JPG
    158.5 KB · Views: 29
Back