What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Two G5s and a Portrait G3X

JDA_BTR

Well Known Member
What would it look like to have two G5s and a portrait G3X? I have a backup G5 in my -14 with 10" G3X and it works well but I never use the G5. In the -8 I was thinking of having a pair of G5's, upper for attitude, lower for HSI. I want the G3X though for the engine and charts. So what if I put a stack on the right of autopilot control, audio panel, and GNX375, two G5 in the middle, and the portrait g3x on the left (or vice versa stack left, G3X on the right). How does that G3X look in portrait for showing engine monitoring and charts without having the attitude indicator showing? Has anybody done this?

One or two G5s for flight instruments, plus a GDU 470 for maps/navigation/engine, is a supported configuration and even fairly common in the certified world:

A G3X Touch system installed with no ADAHRS units can display MFD data, including engine information, on up to six GDU 4XX displays. This system configuration can also support Garmin autopilot functionality when paired with one or more G5 flight displays.

The result looks like a combination of the two attached images. I'd consider this a perfectly fine setup for VFR although obviously you give up a few things such as synthetic vision, and the overall size of the flight instruments will not be as large. The required panel space is a little smaller than a GDU 46x.

Attachments

• dual_g5.png
    dual_g5.png
    886.5 KB · Views: 40
  • gdu470.jpg
    gdu470.jpg
    103.1 KB · Views: 46
Last edited:
VFR??? With the GNX-375 this looks pretty dang IFR-ish to me. One question that comes to mind, at power-up will the line GDU-470 always come up as primary flight instrument, or can it be set up to wake up as map/engine display?

Assuming the system will still have an ADAHRS, there is a nice cross check/reversion capability. It appears to me that the answer to the above question is that the 470 will come on as PFD if there is an adahrs associated to it. Can this be changed?

Assuming the system will still have an ADAHRS, there is a nice cross check/reversion capability. It appears to me that the answer to the above question is that the 470 will come on as PFD if there is an adahrs associated to it. Can this be changed?

This system configuration requires you to install it with no ADAHRS LRU, so you would never be able to see flight instruments on the GDU 470 display.

I was planning an ADAHRS input to the G3X here, so that I could have an option of using G3X as a backup to the G5 and vice versa. And with the GNX-375 it definitely is IFR capable. I'll research the idea that it wouldn't show and attitude indicate on the G3X setup this way.....

Looking at the G3X interconnect schematic, the AOA is connected to the ADAHRS and I want that. I guess you have to have a PFD on the G3X to see the AOA..... Also, without the ADAHRS will be necessary to have the little OAT adapter to put the temp on the CAN bus.

I was planning an ADAHRS input to the G3X here, so that I could have an option of using G3X as a backup to the G5 and vice versa. [...] I'll research the idea that it wouldn't show and attitude indicate on the G3X setup this way.....

A single GDU display installed with an ADAHRS LRU will not allow you to show a full-screen MFD presentation. Your options would be either to install an ADAHRS LRU and have the GDU 470 always be in split-screen mode, or to eliminate the ADAHRS LRU and have a full-screen MFD presentation.

So now I am thinking my best redundancy is two portraits side by side, skip the G5 altogether.....

It would be better for redundancy to use a 10 inch landscape G3X plus a G5, like in your -14.

As a pure backup for attitude yes. A second adahrs with two portrait displays keeps my remote devices more in the game. I’m thinking of putting the gad27 and the Audio panel and two gtr20 radios aft. With that much remote I’m more worried about losing one display than anything since the display is needed for so much. Definitely some trade offs to think thru.

Back