What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Trim is stalling out in flight

Mitch757

Well Known Member
Sponsor
My RV-12 has been flying nicely for 40 hours or so but yesterday, after airborne, I found that the trim would not respond as I accelerated. I landed the plane and the trim worked normally throughout the range (26 seconds stop to stop).

A helper put a small resistance on the tab while testing the trim and it stopped the movement.

Anyone have a problem similar to this? I like the trim rate as set. I don't know if speeding up the trim would add more power or not. My control module is the AV-5000A-Rev 0.

Thanks,
Mitch
N2ET

I would double-check the connections before I did any changing to the trim pot. It might be that some slight movement is causing a bad connection in the connector back there. The trim motor has always been a very reliable component; wiring, not so much.

Bob

Problem fixed

I cut off all the wires to the tiny Molex micro fit connectors and installed dsub pins with heat shrink per Steinair web site. The trim works well now.

Mitch:

Do you have a link to that procedure on the SteinAir website?

I had a similar issue with my RV-12 and want to share with A&P if I need to have it looked at.

Ground tested today and seems to be working fine but will flight test again to see if I need to have it looked at.

Thanks

Back