What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Transition Training for the RV-3

More items

Well, it's been about 10 shades of fun getting to know this aircraft. I saw Kahuna zipping along in his super 8 and I asked the tower for an immediate departure to catch up with the "really slow" rv-8 that just flew down the runway, I'm glad Mike has a good sense of humor.... We flew formation for about 5 min and I've got to give the man his due... He has a really steady hand. Flying formation with Mike was fantastic, he gave me some guidance and I had a blast. You really wear this airplane! Yesterday I did my 2nd cross country to NW Florida from LZU. At 22 inches, I saw 165,166 mph indicated at 4500 ft. I learned I could put my feet under the pedals even with sizable tennis shoes and extend my legs to the firewall. It was quite comfortable. Since my destination was a 2000 ft grass strip, I decided to land at a 4000 ft grass strip first. WOW! What a non event....:) My first grass landing in a -3 was very relaxed and soft. Still a touch hot on final I took up less than half the runway with full flaps. Of course that was after a few passes to (ahem) clear the runway of deer. I then flew the rest of the trip to 49fd. Again, since I had not flown in there yet, I made a few more passes to clear the runway of those poor defenseless animals who would of been possibly harmed or worse by my landing if I had not forwarned them with a few passes. (ahem ahem).... Since I was down to an hours fuel and had baggage in the rear, my cg was aft but within limits. So I set up for a long approach and put in full flaps. 75 knots felt good and I touched down just after the beginning of the runway. I gently applied braking action with the tail in the air to gauge how much force I could reasonably use if I needed to. 1200 feet was all it took. I know I came in a little hot because of my aft cg, but I'm very confident I could get her stopped in less than a thousand feet if I needed to. She had no bad habbits on grass and was quite tame compared to some of the other stuff I've flown. I did seem to try and pull her off the ground a little early at the first field so I re-leveled the stick and waited 1 sec and she popped off the grass quite nicely. Jan Bussell demonstrated the short field landing technique and WAS NOT bashful about it. I have not tried that type of landing in her yet but I think she would come to a stop very shortly thereafter if I did. I'll try it when my cg is not so far aft. The most nervous time seemed to be just after the tailwheel touched the ground. That required the most tapdancing. Also I had held the tail off the ground as long as I could. Lately, the newer technique is to bring the tail down before it refuses to stay up and the transition is much smoother. Now, as far as my grass landings in this airplane go, there is noticeably less tapdancing. It's really nice! Let me put in a plug for my yankee that I sold to get the -3. I believe that it was the perfect transition aircraft for the -3, once you learn in a spam can, GO FIND someone with a yankee and spend as much time in it as you can. It will teach you energy management, critical angles of attack and primary and secondary stalls second to none. It will also teach you how to taxi a taildragger because of the diff braking. The control sensitivity is very close to an RV. Paul, stop making your new wife do all the work for the holidays and help her finish the -3 ;). Louise, you'd better stand up for yourself and work him hard to finish your airplane!!! He should be working 50 hrs a day to help you finish, you can feed him, but only after he buys you your avionics.

Add: two items I would like to bring to the table, if you fly above 4500ft, might want to bring a pencil instead of ruining 3 of your favorite pens and also, I believe that certain snacks can blow up at certain altitudes(tater chips and other items in similar packages) not to mention a soda goes flat really fast up high...
Best
Brian

Last edited:
getting the tail down

Also I had held the tail off the ground as long as I could. Lately, the newer technique is to bring the tail down before it refuses to stay up and the transition is much smoother.

Brian, you seem to be having fun with the RV-3. :) Makes me miss mine.

Not to thread-drift into another never-ending debate...though I do like those, but I don't think there's any good reason to hold the tail up as long as possible during a wheel landing. You're giving up some control of the airplane during that transition period between the time the tail starts down and when the tailwheel touches. You have (practically) no rudder control nor tailwheel steering. All you have is differential braking. An ill-timed gust during this transition could put you in a precarious spot. I just don't feel there's any need for it. I know it's fun, but I would save this trick for when it's dead calm.

If you like to do wheelies, I would suggest you develop a feel for the speed at which the airplane is well into being done flying, but also has enough airflow over the rudder to make it effective if you need it. Try flying the tail down at a speed approx. halfway between the airplane's stall speed and the speed at which the tail will fly with full forward stick. It's a pretty big margin. Have fun.

Last edited:
Excellent suggestion Eric

I've tried every which way to land the 3.... And your suggestion of when to let the tail down seems to be spot on. I also added some learned items to my last post ref pens and tater chips...
Best
Brian

Yeah, and really watch the thermos...

...at altitude can steam your face and body. Zippo lighters will also leak and burn your thigh at altitude....ask me how I know:eek:

Best,

Paul, stop making your new wife do all the work for the holidays and help her finish the -3 ;). Louise, you'd better stand up for yourself and work him hard to finish your airplane!!! He should be working 50 hrs a day to help you finish, you can feed him, but only after he buys you your avionics.

Actually, my biggest problem is getting Paul to NOTwork too much on Junior while I'm doing the day job 100 miles away. I look forward to getting the -3B flying but I'm also very much enjoying the build.

Sounds like a you're having a lot of fun. Stay safe.

Back