What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Transform RV6-A into RV6

maximo64

Hello, I need some help, if anybody has done this tranformation, the list of parts I have to get in order to transform my trycicle RV6A into a taildragger RV6. Any advices are welcomed.
Thanks,
Maximo.

Do a search and you can find a ton of discussion.
It’s not for the faint of heart or for an inexperienced builder.

Thanks for the help. I found a document in VANs web site which explains the conversion (from 6A to 6 and viceversa).

Reason: I have flown this plane almost 15 years with no problem, but last november I had a very serious accident after nose gear collapsed on a grass strip landing, plane overturned, cabin dome and safety arch also collapsed, my C-2 vertebra was fractured, miraculously saved my life...

I converted my 7A in to a TW 7 back in 2012.
You can PM me with questions and/or send me your cell# and we can discuss it.
Big difference between converting a -6 vs. -7. On the -6, the main gear attaches with the wing attach bolts. Not so on the -7.

Big difference between converting a -6 vs. -7. On the -6, the main gear attaches with the wing attach bolts. Not so on the -7.
Do not quite understand. According to -6 drawing main gear attaches to engine mount.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2024-04-22 at 19.33.03.png
    Screen Shot 2024-04-22 at 19.33.03.png
    741.9 KB · Views: 9
Do not quite understand. According to -6 drawing main gear attaches to engine mount.
Sorry....Talking about the main gear on the -6A. It's more work to remove the main gear from the -6A than from the -7A.

Sorry....Talking about the main gear on the -6A. It's more work to remove the main gear from the -6A than from the -7A.
The 7A mains attach via the gear weldment which is attached to the spar & not directly to the spar via wing attach points.

Thanks for the help. I found a document in VANs web site which explains the conversion (from 6A to 6 and viceversa).

Reason: I have flown this plane almost 15 years with no problem, but last november I had a very serious accident after nose gear collapsed on a grass strip landing, plane overturned, cabin dome and safety arch also collapsed, my C-2 vertebra was fractured, miraculously saved my life...
They sure make it look easy!
Scary accident for sure. Glad it wasn’t worse.
There are various mods that can be purchased that claim to prevent, or minimize, nose gear collapse and subsequent nose overs. Perhaps rebuilding with those mods would be a less cumbersome option?

They sure make it look easy!
Scary accident for sure. Glad it wasn’t worse.
There are various mods that can be purchased that claim to prevent, or minimize, nose gear collapse and subsequent nose overs. Perhaps rebuilding with those mods would be a less cumbersome option?
After reviewing several videos, reports, photos, and what I personally experimented, I think that when you land RV-6A, 7A or 9A in a (not well mantained ) grass strip, or worse, if you happen to have an emergency on uneven terrain, nose gear will collapse most probably, and also plane will consequently overturn. Consequences could be your life, several doctors told me that I was really very lucky (or the Lord upstairs said this is not your time...) because fracture of C2 many times end in paraplegic or death. For me it is worth the time and money to make the conversion. Thanks anyway !!!

Take a look to these links/videos:

Back