What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Towing an RV via tailwheel...

Tram

Well Known Member
So, I've got a project fuselage on gear I need to move roughly 5 miles.

I had intended to use my AAA benefits and call a rollback tow truck and have them move it, but they (AAA) may not be allowing this sort of thing to happen anymore.

I have read where people have simply lashed their tailwheel to a truck and nice and gently, towed their aircraft a short distance.

I'm considering taking a 5' or so length of 2" square tubing, sliding that into my hitch, taking the other end, drilling a 3/8" hole and mounting it into the tailwheel bracket.

I'd need to verify the width of the tailwheel bracket, but..

5 miles. 15 mph. Should be fine. ;)

Anyone here been down this road?

I have done it a number of times with no problem, though it has only been approximately a mile from one side of an airport to another.
As long as you can actually keep the speed low it should be fine, but I would recommend making up some kind of bracket that could go into a hitch receiver, and attach the airplane with the tail wheel axle bolt.

I have done it a number of times with no problem, though it has only been approximately a mile from one side of an airport to another.
As long as you can actually keep the speed low it should be fine, but I would recommend making up some kind of bracket that could go into a hitch receiver, and attach the airplane with the tail wheel axle bolt.

Yeh, it's all backroads. Going slow would be no issue at all.

I'm thinking about doing exactly what you mention. I'd think a 5' stick of 2" tubing should be plenty. Hole at one end for the hitch pin, hole at the other for the tail wheel axle bolt.

Got this idea form the ground handlers at Reno Airrace Sport Class - extremely crude version but gets the job done for me. Have rescued a couple planes off the runway & moved others around the hangars & taxiways.
Tie the tail wheel down securely & tow slowly...

I'd envision something with an actual trailer hitch socket, and more road worthy wheels for your situation.

Attachments

• tug.jpg
    tug.jpg
    143.7 KB · Views: 106
Last edited:
I towed a Champ the way you mentioned, it worked out great but I did get a warning from the police for no direction lights.

Towed our 7 for 3 miles...

Toy Yoda Hilux

My Bro was in the bed, aeroplane was tied to the tow hitch.

He was screaming like a baby.....

A chase vehicle, following with their hazard lights on would improve both safety, and your odds that the police will not cite you. Shows a reasonable level of caution.

6 miles with tailwheel secured on tail gate no problem. But... IF CANOPY IS ON THE AIRCRAFT BE SURE IT IS LOCKED DOWN. A person based here towed a 7 backwards to the paint shop with the tipper not locked down and when the air got under the rear of it, up it went........ LOTS OF DAMAGE.

You can get magnetic (removable) turn and stop trailer lights you should be able to mount somehow.

I seem to recall a pickup truck towing a cement mixer. Quite sure it didn't have a tag nor lights on it. Wonder what the rules are ...

Finn

I towed my -6 about 4 miles from the hangar to my house to paint the cockpit. I made an adapter to accept the tailwheel fork to a ball mount hitch without the ball and slid that into the hitch receiver in my truck. As I drove through the exit gate, a cop drove into the entry gate and didn't bat an eye.

I didn't have an engine on the airframe, so it was light, but I towed at 40+ mph no problem. If I did have an engine installed, I would have inflated the MG tires to 50 psi or so to keep them cool.

Back