What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Torque AN509

mcanalld

I'm on the last step of the vertical stabilizer and stuck attaching the bottom rudder hinge to the rear spar. Seems so simple but getting the nuts on the AN509 screw is difficult. So, maybe I'm doing something wrong? Also have a few other questions about torquing...

1) Adding the rudder stop to the bracket wasn't an issue. I got the drag torque value, added to the table Vans lists in section 5, and tightened it down. Think it was 41, or 42 inch lbs.

2) The AN509, which are screws, do I use same values as a bolt? Is the torque at the nut or do I need a torque screwdriver? My assumption was same as attaching bolts. So, torque at the nut and use same values VANS provides. Didn't want to assume.

3) This was by far the biggest issue. I could not get the MS21042-08 nuts down on the AN509. I got it about halfway on, not even close to the washers, and it wouldn't budge. After that it started stripping the nut a bit (would spin in the socket...sometimes). I stopped at that point, backed it off and gave up for the night. I've already ordered new AN509 and nuts.

Any advice here would be greatly appreciated.

Also Interested in Answers

I struggled with this, too, so I'm looking forward to any advice from people. I've set that last step of the VS aside and am getting ready to wrap up Section 7 with the Rudder, so I'd love to see what the collective intelligence has to say on this. I've contemplated replacing those ms21042 nuts with some nylon locknuts, but haven't explored that option yet. Either way I know I'm going to have to figure out some solution for the firewall forward area as I definitely can't use nylon lock nuts up there.

I'm on the last step of the vertical stabilizer and stuck attaching the bottom rudder hinge to the rear spar. Seems so simple but getting the nuts on the AN509 screw is difficult. So, maybe I'm doing something wrong? Also have a few other questions about torquing...

1) Adding the rudder stop to the bracket wasn't an issue. I got the drag torque value, added to the table Vans lists in section 5, and tightened it down. Think it was 41, or 42 inch lbs.

2) The AN509, which are screws, do I use same values as a bolt? Is the torque at the nut or do I need a torque screwdriver? My assumption was same as attaching bolts. So, torque at the nut and use same values VANS provides. Didn't want to assume.

3) This was by far the biggest issue. I could not get the MS21042-08 nuts down on the AN509. I got it about halfway on, not even close to the washers, and it wouldn't budge. After that it started stripping the nut a bit (would spin in the socket...sometimes). I stopped at that point, backed it off and gave up for the night. I've already ordered new AN509 and nuts.

Any advice here would be greatly appreciated.

If these are the AN509 shown on the bottom right corner of RV-10 drawing page 11-5 it calls out AN509-10R11. The -10 means #10 or 3/16". The nuts are called out AN365-1032. the -10 means #10 or 3/16" and the 32 is 32 threads per inch. The MS21042-08 nuts are #8-32. Same threads per inch between #8 and #10 but the #8 nut won't engage the #10 screw. A #10 nut will engage a #8 screw but will strip the threads if tightened.

If these are the AN509 shown on the bottom right corner of RV-10 drawing page 11-5 it calls out AN509-10R11. The -10 means #10 or 3/16". The nuts are called out AN365-1032. the -10 means #10 or 3/16" and the 32 is 32 threads per inch. The MS21042-08 nuts are #8-32. Same threads per inch between #8 and #10 but the #8 nut won't engage the #10 screw. A #10 nut will engage a #8 screw but will strip the threads if tightened.

I think this is actually from RV-10 page 6-5. Those are AN509-8R11 that screw into MS21042-08 for attaching the bottom hinge bracket to the rear spar assembly on the vertical stabilizer.

Any luck?

Any luck on step 3 for you? I still have it set aside and it's currently a "future John" problem for me...

Back