What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Torn: 7A Vs 7

As the war was coming to an end, aviation designers got a bit smarter, and put the wheel up front, to avoid forward "sight" problems such as one would find in a Cessna 195 or F4U Corsair. After all, the need to land from any direction in a farmers field had greatly decreased.
Forward sight problems or transition to jet engines? Startup and takeoff on jets with their exhaust pointed right at the ground could be kind of tricky! :eek:

Not the McD F-4 phantoms.

The WWII era F4U - think "Black Sheep Squadron".
Read the previous post (before mine), Ty, and you'll see I was referring to why designer's changed to nosewheel after WWII. The previous post suggested that it was primarily for forward visibility. I'm suggesting that maybe it was because designers were also transitioning to jets. Jets like nosewheels better than they do tailwheels. FWIW, of course I do agree that the F4U was a tailwheel and that the F-4 Phantom was a nosewheel. (I think that's what you're saying.)

Last edited:
Forward sight problems or transition to jet engines? Startup and takeoff on jets with their exhaust pointed right at the ground could be kind of tricky! :eek:

I disagree. The most used non-jet fixed wing in the military, the C130 Hercules, has a front wheel. It was specifically designed for rough field use as well as smooth. Placing the c/g between the wheels is a more stable arrangement.

:D
I disagree. The most used non-jet fixed wing in the military, the C130 Hercules, has a front wheel. It was specifically designed for rough field use as well as smooth. Placing the c/g between the wheels is a more stable arrangement.
What? You're saying we're both wrong?:eek:

I'm snowbound here in E. Washington, unsuccessfully trying to get over the closed, avalanche-prone mountains passes to where I was supposed to be this weekend, so I've got time to kill...

I don't disagree with you. I'm sure that stability probably was a big part of it, but did they all of a sudden learn about physics, c.g. and stability in 1945? What was it about the end of WWII that changed things all of a sudden? Perhaps the answer to why military aircraft went to nosewheels could be all three: better visability, better for the jet age, and better for stability. I know it's not cool to have more than one correct answer :cool:, but I'll put my historian's hat on: What happens in history is almost always the result of multiple causation. When things happen in history is a result of those multiple causal factors aligning at the same time. [Historian's hat off.] Time for the military aviation trivial pursuit players to weigh in!

But, to keep this relevant to the thread that was originally started, go for a -7! :D I wrestled with this issue long and hard and finally went with my gut. Once I did that (over 2 years ago, now) I've NEVER looked back. Good luck with your decision.

RV7?

I'm moving this one BTT with a twist.
What effect does the tail wheel have on the weight and balance envelope? I'm curious if the weight of the tail wheel moves the CG aft appreciably lowering the baggage load. Maybe it's a wash, as the nose wheel weight probably reduces the load too.
I'm torn as well, and tending towards the 7 just cuz I like the way it looks and it sounds like more fun to fly. I have not ordered yet so this thread is facinating. I'm about 1/2 way through the sample plans and building manual. So far nothing seems beyond my skills. I'm so excited to get started. Hope to buy in a year or two. THX for all the advice.

Back