What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tools worth having...and worth the $$

Roadjunkie1

Well Known Member
Well, I needed to look at my horizontal elevator brackets. Had been hearing a lot about the Teslong MS450 digital "endoscope". Jumped in and bought the one with the shorter 5 foot probe as I figured there would be a lot of other things I could do with it. It has the smaller head for, say, looking in horizontal flying surfaces!

Out of the box: nice looking unit. Well-built. Not much of a users manual but I figured it out pretty quickly. UTube has some tutorials as well. The silver button on the back releases the probe from the unit.....:p

Looked at my hinge brackets today. Had to enlarge the access hole slightly but not an issue. Easily put the probe in the slightly enlarged hole with the side-view camera on and was able to see EVERYTHING! And clearly. AND I was able to document my findings with a time-stamped picture of the areas: NO CRACKS. Well, let's look other places! Looked at the exterior aspect of the hinge bracket: NO CRACKS. Got a much better look than I had with my inspection light and mirrors. Ummm...those aileron brackets looked pretty good but let's go take another look! Looked good. :)

So: the front viewing and side viewing cameras are well-placed and work well. A small button on the USB fitting quickly switches from one camera to the other. It is a ridged probe meaning it will go where you want it and stay there, with a little practice. The bright LED lights will allow you to stick that probe in places that would be difficult to get another inspection light and mirror in to see. And their intensity is adjustable. Close up (hinge bracket area) can get a little bright if full intensity. I walked around the airplane just to see where else I could look!:p

Bottom line: best $100 I've spent in a while. Can't wait to find other uses for it! No: I did not look in my ear......:D:D:

Oh: RV-4; wooden propeller; O-320; light acro. 1210 hours: no cracks

Bottom line: best $100 I've spent in a while. Can't wait to find other uses for it! No: I did not look in my ear......:D:D:

That was very first thing my SO told me when I got each of my borescopes (VA-400 a few years ago for cylinders, Depstech this week for the SB): Don't be sticking it in your ear, or nose, or anywhere else for that matter! :)

Cause that's the first thing a guy will do with such a toy, er, tool...look at his own ear.

Borescope

Never considered looking at body parts but I have used it to spy on birds. We have several bird houses. It's fun to watch the chicks grow up. :D

Back