What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Too high & fluctuating oil pressure O360A1A

stompinTom

I'm New Here
Have a new to me RV8 with a relatively low time (500-600 TTSN) O360A1A. In the circuit I'm seeing oil pressure sometimes >105 psi and fluctuating back down to a <40 psi following the throttle.(high throttle, high pressure)
We have plumbed in a remote gauge (bluetooth) and it mirrors the Dynon D180 readings on the panel.
Oil analysis and cylinder boroscope reveals no abnormalities.
We have replaced the oil pressure relief valve spring (burgandy/pink) with a yellow one which is supposed to exert the lightest pressure and are still getting the same readings even with the oil pressure adjustment backed all the way off.
Any ideas/suggestions as to what to try/look for next would be greatly appreciated.

You have enough oil in? RPMs #1 on making pressure rise and fall. Bad sensors often, but you addressed. Bad EIS port? Loose ground make all things wonky. That’s all I got . Lets us know of solution.

You replaced the spring, but what about the ball. How did it look? How does the seat look? I am sure you checked/inspected both, but....

Do you happen to have an inverted oil set up installed on it?

Where/which ports are you picking up your oil pressure?

We have plumbed in a remote gauge (bluetooth) and it mirrors the Dynon D180 readings on the panel.

That sounds a lot like a bad OP sensor. Did you just put another instrument on the same sensor or did you put in a tee with a new sensor? If the latter, there are not many mechanical things that will swing the OP from 40-105 in quick fashion, at least not in a plane that used to swing between 50 and 80, based upon RPM. You can get this when going from idle (low OP) to higher RPM (high OP) and the same going back to idle, but it is VERY consistent and predictable and the OP will religiously follow linear relationships with RPM. Pretty sure it is not the relief spring and I would put the old one back just the way you found it as you troubleshoot. You have obviously shown yourself that is not the cause and may now create a very low OP with no spring force.

You get high pressure when the pump is producing too much flow and there is nowhere for it to go and usually a blockage or relief problem. Low pressure is either the opposite (not enough volume from pump) or too many leak sources, such as issues with relief bleeding off too much or major bearing wear, or other leak source, etc. Almost never see both happening at the same time. The one exception that I experienced was when there was a mismatch in parts between the block and press relief housing, but that was consistent in it;s movements and happened from day one. OP went up with RPM to a certain point and then dropped 15 and stayed there. Nothing like your symptoms.

I would spend more time on instrumentation. Buy a mech OP guage and find a way to tee it into the system. This could also be some type of debris or issue with the hose going between the block and sensor. My best guess is that the actual OP is not going from 40-105 back and forth. If it is instrumentation, you now have no idea how low you have made the pressure with the new relief setup.

Yes, it is following throttle, but I assume that you do not normally get 105 in the pattern or anytime other than a cold start. This is the smoking gun. The ONLY way to get more pressure than you got yesterday without any changes is for there to be some type of blockage or intermittent issue with the relief ball not coming off the seat enough. This can happen, however, for it to then fall to 40 at idle, which I assume is lower than it was yesterday, points to a completely different group of problems, such as the ball not fully seating or not having enough pressure or system leaks. It is hard to imagine intermittently going between blockage at high RPM and leaks at low RPM. However, if it were happening it is most likely happening in the relief, but not the spring itself. More likely a metallic defect in the assy. Still hard for me to imagine how a relief sometimes restricts too much and then restricts too little. This leads me back to absolutely confirming your readings before attacking this.

If you have an inverted oil system with all the other check balls and diverters and goodies, that is a whole different kettle of fish and outside my area and wouild be high on my suspect list.

Last edited:
Have a new to me RV8 with a relatively low time (500-600 TTSN) O360A1A. In the circuit I'm seeing oil pressure sometimes >105 psi and fluctuating back down to a <40 psi following the throttle.(high throttle, high pressure)
Oil analysis and cylinder boroscope reveals no abnormalities.
We have replaced the oil pressure relief valve spring (burgandy/pink) with a yellow one which is supposed to exert the lightest pressure and are still getting the same readings even with the oil pressure adjustment backed all the way off.
Any ideas/suggestions as to what to try/look for next would be greatly appreciated.

Hello Tom. If your Dynon has data recording capability, a pressure curve is recommended. Get the oil/engine warmed, i.e. land with 180F oil, then immediately do a sweep from idle to rated RPM - in a smooth acceleration. You might do this on a takeoff run for safety. Then plot the rpm vs oil pressure and note the oil temperature on the graph. This will give the crew here a better idea of what the system is doing. Also, note what oil (brand/weight) you are running and if it is fresh.

Idle pressures (lower rpm) will give indications of what "demand" of the system is - how tight it is, and the higher rpm is where the relief valve is set. The curve will tell the tale. The relief will not affect lower RPM pressure, only higher RPM, read Larry's comments carefully.

Do tell us why you think you have a problem, and confirm it has oil squirters under the pistons.

H The relief will not affect lower RPM pressure, only higher RPM, read Larry's comments carefully.

Please follow Bill's guidance as it will help get better answers. I will add that mechanical issues in the relief assy can lower OP at idle (abnormal), IF the issue is one that keeps the ball from fully seating on the seat or the ball or seat are damaged. This then creates a leak and drops idle oil pressure below what it was or would have been if the ball/seat were normal.

Has the problem been there for the previous owner ?
Do you have a constant speed propeller ?
Check that the proper gasket is used and mounted correctly between the
engine and the governor.

Good luck

Tom,

A previous reply mentioned Inverted Oil system. If you have inverted oil this is a good place to be looking.
A customer wanted an inverted oil system installed on his -8. Shortly after was having oil pressure fluctuations. I had him increase the oil quantity and fluctuations subsided.

Solved!!!

Thanks for all the ideas! The "light" came on when a question of port location was asked. My AME advises me that it turns out the OP sensor was plumbed into a port other than usual one. When the test apparatus was moved to the normally used port BINGO the readings were what you would expect. They put the purple spring back in and with the relief spring tensioned about half way yielded OP of 55psi at 1000 rpm and 90psi at 2600 rpm. The port with the blue AN cap is the spot that was giving us unstable and over spec readings. Thanks to all!!

Attachments

• IMG_3043(1).jpg
    IMG_3043(1).jpg
    423.5 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_3042(1).jpg
    IMG_3042(1).jpg
    328.4 KB · Views: 69
Thanks for all the ideas! The "light" came on when a question of port location was asked. My AME advises me that it turns out the OP sensor was plumbed into a port other than usual one. When the test apparatus was moved to the normally used port BINGO the readings were what you would expect. They put the purple spring back in and with the relief spring tensioned about half way yielded OP of 55psi at 1000 rpm and 90psi at 2600 rpm. The port with the blue AN cap is the spot that was giving us unstable and over spec readings. Thanks to all!!

Congrats and thanks for closing the loop.

Back