What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Titan XIO 360 Higher Oil Temps

Tcheairs

Well Known Member
Had been flying around (cruise flight OAT 50*) since I purchased the RV&A in March (happily) looking at oil temps between 178 and 185. All of a sudden a couple of weeks ago on climbout (shallow 130 KIAS climb) the temp went right on through 180 and climbed to around 210*. Leveled off in cruise at 60* OAT and the temp stayed up there around 200*..Subsequent flights..same temps. Pulled oil temp probe and heated to 200* with a heat gun and infrared thermometer..Dynon EMS agrees with the infrared readings. (yes, I grounded the temp probe housing). Pulled the Vernatherm and heated it in hot water to 200*..It extended 3/16" (which i believe is about right) and retracted at 170* . There is some SLIGHT evidence of uneven seating of the Vernatherm in the seat in the filter adapter, a common problem I am told with the angled oil filter adapter.

So, where to next? Troubleshoot the oil cooler for flow? Shoot the cooler and lines with the infrared? I'm not overly concerned about 200* oil temp..it's just the sudden change in the situation which has me wondering what could have changed.

Thanks for viewing

Last edited:
Did the sudden change in oil temperature coincide with increased oil pressure after installing a new spring in the pressure relief valve?

Back