What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tires

glen25781

Hey everybody,

My tires on my 6A are starting to get some wear now and I would like to go ahead and replace them preventively. Getting a flat tire on a trip where parts and service may not be available is not something I want to deal with.

Any suggestions as to the best brand and size? Obviously we all want the best bang for the buck but I don't mind paying extra for high quality, especially on what I consider a critical component of the plane. Is Aircraft Spruce the best place to go or is there a better alternative?

Any suggestions will be welcome......I really appreciate being on this forum.

By the way, I just had a Trio Pro Pilot installed and it is so solid and easy to use.

I use the Dresser Monster recaps. You can pay more but you won't get more. The only downside is that they are a little heavier. Tubes are where you will spend a bunch of money. I run Michelin Airstop but use them for multiple sets of tires.

I am another Desser retread fan - been using theme on al my airplanes for over 40 years. The Money I save on the tires I spend on Michelin Airstop tubes, and rarely have to add air to a tire more than once every six months.

Paul

Last edited by a moderator:
I have also used Desser retread for a number of years but this year I installed a set of Goodyear Flight Custom III and the smoothness of the ride was very noticeable. They are however not cheap.

I didn't mind the life I got out of the Aero Classics (~500 landings) so that's what I went with on my first change out. I also went with Michelin Airstop tubes and to be honest I notice no difference at all with adding air compared to stock.

Tires.....or tyres if you are from Over There....

Hey everybody,

Any suggestions as to the best brand and size? Obviously we all want the best bang for the buck but I don't mind paying extra for high quality, especially on what I consider a critical component of the plane. Is Aircraft Spruce the best place to go or is there a better alternative?

Wilkerson tires are very well made and are from a small, family-run company that has been in business for 75 years. I love the attention I get when I deal with them and have never been disappointed. You talk to one of the family when you call, usually Sara. And the tires show up usually before they say they will depending on what casings they have.

Look them up: wilkersonaircrafttires.com

Last edited:
Desser retreads wear like iron. However, my last set developed cracks between the treads. Two other RV owners at my home field also had that happen to differing degrees on theirs.

I queried Desser to see if this was an artifact of the retreading process and received this reply:
"The cracks on these tires seem to be superficial and safe to continue using. However, your A&P should be able to tell you if these tires need to be replaced. If These cracks get deeper, I suggest changing them."​
An A&P friend didn't like the cracking. Utimately I removed them since I wasn't comfortable flying with them.

i-QGMVn2M-L.jpg

Last edited:
I didn't mind the life I got out of the Aero Classics (~500 landings) so that's what I went with on my first change out. I also went with Michelin Airstop tubes and to be honest I notice no difference at all with adding air compared to stock.
*Update added below.
Wow. it seems like there really is no field comparison data out there at all besides the retread thickness. Seems crazy to ask quantity of landings huh? We need a TireRack website. I always appreciate their "real" comparison based on quantifiable data points.
Well, since this seems to be really the only data report type post then I will add here. I have about 500 landings on my aero classics, rotated them at about 300 landings. Guessing only about 50 landings on grass to deduct. Sort of useless data: tires new since Nov 1st 2022, so 1 yrs & several months, and 420 hrs of flying.
Posting because I am honestly trying to justify going to Goodyear Flt Special II. My tires are bald at 500 landings now. Not going retreads because I am not going to cut into and open up my wheel pants...my choice, no reason besides that.
SO, seems like it would be awesome if people would post the quantity of landings at least for tires, especially considering today's electronic log book era has all this handy.
Guessing I am just going to go with Aero Classic's again since there really in no factual data to say going otherwise. Humm?! Interesting, no?
Anyone care to share real TANGIBLE data? Not the hypothetical, open for discrimination, descriptions on tire brands websites that frankly is pretty useless.

Update: Well, I ended up buying Goodyear Flt Special II's for this first replacement. I got A.Spruce to price match the discount I was seeing off the Desser website. So for only $50 more than the AeroClassic's, I decided, okay, well lets give goodyear a shot.
*Also, already a couple really good posts added below here, with good Data! Thanks. Perhaps others will share simalr data, then we all can paint a quantifiable conclusion. There will still be some subjectivity, such as it is an opinion of when to make the call to change tire, thus the reported landings will have some variability. But already it seems like perhaps approx. 500 landing is a sort of benchmark. Kinda Maybe! HAHA. Anyways, as time goes on, I will come back to this thread and report when I rotate, and when I change out the next set. Thanks to those that responded. Data don't lie! HAHA Cheers,

Last edited:
+1 for Wilkerson. Very nice, family style, quick service. They didn't have any 500-5 cores, so I gave them my old tires and they were back within 10 days. Not enough time on them to rate, but I am happy so far. -Ben

I have been using Air Hawk 5.00x5 6 ply tires with LeakGuard tubes since my first 106 hours (~150 landings) on the original Aero Classics. I had to open the wheel pants trims when going from Aero Classics to Air Hawks. I only fly off hard surface (no grass). Here is my tire usage on Air Hawks.
Set 1
flipped Left to Right after 228 hours (250 landings), replaced after additional 206 hours (228 landings)
Set 2
Flipped after 277 hours (223 landings), replaced after additional 186 hours (174 landings)
Set 3
Have not flipped yet after 337 hours (~300 landings) - I have been running 35 psi. Previous tires I ran 32 psi.

Aero Classics ~300 landings before rotating. Another 86 since and still have plenty to go. 99% paved (Good to Crappy surface) and 1% grass. Probably 10% of those landings require at least one pivot steer to spin the plane around in a parking spot. My guess they are good for 500-600 landings. Most flights have 1 landing, unless people are watching and I may have 2 or 3 :LOL:

+1 for Wilkerson. Very nice, family style, quick service. They didn't have any 500-5 cores, so I gave them my old tires and they were back within 10 days. Not enough time on them to rate, but I am happy so far. -Ben
Have been using Wilkerson retreads since I found out about them about two decades ago. They last longer for me than any other tire that I have used. I have used one set of Dresser when a friend gave them to be because they did not fit in his wheel pants but fit mine.

For years, I used Desser Monster Retreads until they began to charge very high shipping prices. I use Air Hawks now. Aircraft Spruce only charges $10 for shipping.

I did over 1000 landings with a set of Aero Classics on my RV12 over hard surface before changing them.

Last year I bought and rebuilt a damaged RV6 after a ground loop. There I started my journey as a new taildragger pilot...

I put new GoodYears' FC ll and lasted on my sloooow learning curve no more than 50 landings!

I just change to Michelin just 10 landings ago and will be closely monitoring the evolution.
I start wondering if apart from learning to land and all that rudder at take off, there is more to it on a toe out situation...

The toe on the round gear on a tail dragger is only optimal for one weight and pitch angle. Example: with significant camber as the tail is raised the camber becomes a little toe out. Best compromise seems to be 1/16" toe in in level unloaded attitude. On the tail dragger as the airplane is loaded the axle orientation changes slightly towards toe out.

The toe on the round gear on a tail dragger is only optimal for one weight and pitch angle. Example: with significant camber as the tail is raised the camber becomes a little toe out. Best compromise seems to be 1/16" toe in in level unloaded attitude. On the tail dragger as the airplane is loaded the axle orientation changes slightly towards toe out.
Not to hijack the OP, but would you please elaborate on the 1/16" toe in? I understand once the tai is up, changes the toe in/out tracking with the tubular gear.

I had just over 14 hours in my RV8 and I did a lot of pattern practice learning to land this new airplane. The Aero Classic tires are already showing wear that necessitate a tire change in a few more hours. I know new RV8 owner who still has his original tires after a couple of years flying. His tires are in a much better condition than my tires.

I had just over 14 hours in my RV8 and I did a lot of pattern practice learning to land this new airplane. The Aero Classic tires are already showing wear that necessitate a tire change in a few more hours. I know new RV8 owner who still has his original tires after a couple of years flying. His tires are in a much better condition than my tires.
Are you seeing scuffing on the tread line?

The tires are wearing mostly at the outer half and the outermost grove is almost gone. The inside half still looks new. The left tire is wearing more than the right side.

For Curiosity sake: see if you can report quantity of landings on both 8’s here. Just curious is why I ask.

Wilkerson tires on my RV-3, RV-4 and now my RV-8. Never used another brand because they are a good product and backed by excellent customer service. Like Advanced Flight, Aircraft Specialty Flightlines, Flyboy Acessories, 3DStick & Rudder, FlyLeds and many others once you deal with a great company you stick with them for the long haul.

+1 for Wilkerson. Fantastic customer service, great pricing and tire tread life.

FYI...typical for RVs is uneven wear on the outboard sides...feel free to flip the tire to even the wear out

I have 480 landings on my "06-01434 MICHELIN AIR TIRE 380X150-5 6PLY 070-554-0" and they look great. My landings are about 95% asphalt/concrete, the rest grass. One beach landing. :cool: No gravel that I can recall. I took a lot of time to set the "toe in" on the gear, and the wear seems pretty even. While I do sometimes surprise myself with a greaser, I'm sure that the life I'm getting out of this tire is due to Michelin, not my landing technique.

I'm planning to milk every landing I can out of these babies - they are currently at about 1 USD/landing - not counting the airstop tubes.

Back