What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tire pressure access door

jbagley

Well Known Member
Thinking about putting an access door in the wheel pants to check tire pressure. Anyone done this with success? Any recommendations? Seems like a small rectangle door that swings inward on a spring would be simple enough and sufficient.

I've found that it is just difficult enough to check the tire pressure to avoid doing more than just a visual; which isn't very accurate.

I'll be painting the airplane real soon so I want to get little details like this taken care of first. Just looking for some advice.

Thanks!

Tire Pressure

Tires/tire pressure are the number one mx item on my three planes.

There is now a remote tire pressure system for aircraft similar to newer cars.

Spruce sells them. Do not have them yet but am tempted!

Easy, Jim

We bored a 1" hole in our -6A wheelpants and painted a white line on the sidewall when the valve stem lines up with the hole. We bought valve stem extensions from NAPA and screwed two of them together in order to reach the valve stem and pumped 'em up...easy. Use a 3/8" nut driver to remove/replace the valve cap.

Buy a 1" snap in cap at Home Depot or Lowe's aviation section and snap in place like the Cirrus do.

Best,

tp doors

I have little doors on all 3 wheelpants. Can't get pics tonight but I can send you some real soon.

edit: sorry for no pics, I have been busy calibrating my Trio EZ autopilot for my trip tomorrow.
Posts that follow claim how easier it is to line up valve stem with the 1" hole, little doors work
same way. Put a paint stick dot on the tire when the valve stem is lined up with the open door
and guess what, next time it will be right where you want it. Either way is simple, not rocket science!

Last edited:
Milton makes a straight tire gauge that will go through the 1" hole, eliminating the need for the extension. Milton #S923.

Spring loaded access doors are easy to attach, each held in place using two rivets. In actual field operation, finding and lining up the tire valve for a straight shot at the access door can be a nuisance. To simplify alignment, the problem is easily addressed if you previously marked the tire.

x0ppp1.jpg

[Text here that was promotional in nature was removed by the owner of the forums. Non advertisers cannot use the forums as a promotional tool (rule #5 at: http://www.vansairforce.net/rules.htm). Answering a specific, technical question that can be verified with a source is of course allowed - and encouraged!
brandlogo.jpg
]

Last edited by a moderator:
Back