What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tips for installing new Ailerons?

moespeeds

Well Known Member
Friend
I did not build my 8, I purchased it completed.

My ailerons are wavy at the trailing edge, no idea why, but they look like a potato chip.

I have a brand new set completed from Vans, straight and ready for install.

My plan is to test fit them, then remove and paint. When I fit and rig these, any pointers? I'm going to assume that the batwing tips will not line up with the aileron tips. I should align them with the flaps, right?

I am not willing to re-drill/realign the tips at this time, due to the complex paint design and inability to get a good paint match on one of the metallic colors. Currently in level cruise the ailerons do not line up with the tips.

I do have the complete plans and manual from Vans.

Suggest you order a (or two) W-730 aileron alignment jig from Vans (if you don't already have one) & adjust the linkage using that jig. Go flying & re-adjust flaps as necessary for any heavy wing effects. After you are satisfied the plane is flying straight, you can remove the ailerons for paint - without changing the linkage adjustments.
Good luck.

From the RV-8 Construction Manual:

"Connect the W-816 and W-818 pushrods to the WD-421 bellcrank. Use the W-730 bellcrank jig provided to set the bellcrank in the correct neutral position. Use the alignment tool you built at the beginning of the wing construction to position the aileron in the neutral position. Clamp the aileron in this position and adjust the rod end bearings on the W-818 push rod until the pivot bolts at the bellcrank slip in smoothly. Tighten the jam nuts and label the push rod right or left as appropriate. Final adjustments will be made to the W-816 push rod later, when the wing is installed on the fuselage."

I don't have any specific tip but I did spent a lot of time underneath the wing bell-cranks to make sure both ailerons are lined up correctly. You may have to reinstall the aileron stop, especially if the previous delrin has been on the wings for a long time.

Back