What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tip: Solo Canopy Removal/Install RV-7

BillL

Well Known Member
It was requested that I post the method used for solo canopy removal. There are many ways and this one is sadly simple, but it works and is safe. The canopy is not very heavy, but easy to bang around.

I put 4 eye-lagbolts in my floor joists and used ratchet tiedowns. To lift, pick up the rear and attach two clamps for lift points, I used the cost effective HF pieces. The front is carefully separated from the fuse after the pins are retracted. Two 1/4 chain anchor pins were used with 1/4 bolts. The pins were not well formed enough to fit in the pivot bushings.

The whole unit was slowly jacked up and the fuse rolled out. Then the canopy and frame was lowered to allow the shrinker/spreaders to tweak the lower flange of the side rail. I assume this will have to be done again before final fitting, hopefully not another dozen times.

Again, there many ways to lift, I am sure others will have better ideas. There are many better ways, but I am lazy and did not want to invest the time.

Notice there are clecos in the canopy. One must be VERY CAREFUL with these, some small chips were found in my countersinks. I rounded and polished, but would not recommend clecos for this task. Screws are tedious, but safer YMMV.

IMG_0600.jpg

IMG_0601.jpg

IMG_0602.jpg

IMG_0603.jpg

Back