What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tip: Removing tape from tie wrap anchors

Playing around in the shop this morning reading posts on securing wire. It seems attaching the tie wrap anchors with proseal or jb weld works but first need to remove the two way tape on the back of the anchor.

While doing a trial on the effect of heat on the two way tape (using a heat gun) I quickly found that the adhesive let go at minimal increased heat. I used a heat gun to heat up the anchor a bit and found that it removes the two way tape on the anchors in seconds. I was dreading having to cut off the tape or use solvent.

Now on to the task at hand - securing the wiring!

Thanks for the great tip!

I have been struggling with scraping these suckers. This will help a ton and alleviate the need to drill holes and use Adel clamps in inconvenient places.

I used Goo Gone. It takes it right off. Got at Lowes.
Then wiped with lacquer thinner. Then scuffed with 80 grit, then wipe again with lacquer thinner.
I've had good success with JB Weld & Goop. I didn't use this app in any heated areas.
I also bought bases without any adhesive from Mouser. Some with & some without holes for rivet or screw attachment.

Soak them in MEK in a jar overnight. The two-sided foam tape falls off easily the next day.

I attached mine using Automotive Goop (available at the auto parts store). It never dries hard, and is very strong.

41VbDrYVXwL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

Another bit of advice is when you mount them, put a scap nylon ziptie through the hole you intend to use. Once dry, it can be a pain to get a ziptie through. If one is already in place, you can work it back and forth to remove any adhesive that had gotton too far up into the nylon cable mount which could interfere with the tie going through the holes.

I put a bunch in lighter fluid (naphtha) and when I pluck them out, clean residual with paper towel. Windshield urethane becomes the new mount.

Back