What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tip: New Life for Torque Seal

grjtucson

Well Known Member
So I just finished fitting the Empennage and I needed to torque the bearing rods, but the desert southwest had made my tube of torque seal dried out and useless. It had been getting more and more difficult to squeeze a bit out and now it was done.

While adding that item to my ever present shopping list I thought to myself, hey this is just lacquer. Wouldn't it be great if I had something to thin it with?

Duh.

Capful of lacquer thinner, .032 safety wire to ream out the dried opening a bit, squeeze air out, suck thinner in. Repeat a couple of times, knead carefully, voila!

Plenty of life left in that tube now, works great, and I got to preen about the shop in self-satisfied fashion for this blinding flash of the obvious.

Occasionally being clever dilutes the more often feeling of being a complete fool. Hope this helps someone revive their own tiny tube of torque seal.

George

Occasionally being clever dilutes the more often feeling of being a complete fool. Hope this helps someone revive their own tiny tube of torque seal.

George

Good idea! I'm sure this trick can be used to thin it to the correct consistency also. Good find.

Back