What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tip: Mixing and pouring small amounts of primer

Neat!:D Thanks for the tip. I could have definitely used that. I always made such a mess trying to take out small amounts from the gallon cans.

That's awesome. I think I waste 30% dipping out small amounts of epoxy & hardener for small parts batches. (Most of my batches are small.) I'm picking up a pair of these over the weekend.

Thanks for sharing. :)

- John

I remember when I was doing a lot of small batch priming thinking that the design of paint cans was terrible. There has got to be a better way.

Outstanding, Steve,
These are the same style of product used by the professional paint shops with the automatic bulk mixers that turn ALL the handles at one time.

I have wasted too much time thinking about how I could get some (cheaply) and wasting paint in the mean time. No more cleaning the rim!

Thanks for the posting!

PS: After searching, Rockler had about the best price, I ordered two, a gal and qt. Apparently all the new ones, including commercial, are made of nonmetallic now due to corrosion from water based paints.

Last edited:
Great timing

I just bought a gallon Azko Epoxy Primer. I will order one of these today.

Gathering tools and ideas for my build. This one definitely goes to the front of the great idea folder!

Yes and if anyone uses this with AKZO primer let me know how the mixer assembly holds up to the chemicals. When I was priming with AKZO and trying to figure out how to do small batches I bought a set of small plastic cups to dip the required amount out and well lets just say by the time I got they cup back on the table it had melted away! :eek: That is some strong stuff!!

I bought graduated plastic mixing cups from an automobile painting supply company and they have held up well when exposed to the PPG Aerospace Super Koropon epoxy primer. They also sell unwaxed Dixie cups specifically designed for painting and I use those too. I'll be able to provide a data point on the Mixing Mate shortly.

- John

Adam, good point and I am not a chemist so I don?t know how it would hold up to AKZO but it made me wonder about how its holding up for me using the SH P60G2. I went into our laundry room where I keep it to inspect it after 4 months. First mistake was to open it in the house. When I opened it up the fumes from the primers immediately overtook me which tells me it seals good. I removed the augur and looks like when I bought it last year. So for the Primer I use its great

measuring

I bought a bunch of syringes of various sizes. They work great for primer and other liquids. Drill out the hole if it's thick liquid. The syringes allow perfect measuring. Label both parts.
For P60G...
Stir it first. P60G settles. I use a paint stir stick then wipe it off the stick with a popsicle stick. I loose very little. Just draw right from the can. Cover the can and seal the lid.
For the reducer, I pour some into a plastic measuring cup and draw it into a syringe then pour the leftover back into to jug.
Cleanup is easy. Pour some lacquer thinner into the cup. Draw some into the paint syringe, pull the plunger all the way back, put a finger over the hole and shake like heck. Squirt out the thinner into the container used for disposal of chemicals and repeat if necessary. Pull the syringes apart for storage.
I've used the same ones for quite a while. I use big ones for larger paint jobs and small for the little ones using the little film canister paint gun.
Add the 3M disposable paint cup system and the whole process is almost free of messy cleanup. It also reduces the amount of cleaning products wasted to the landfill.

Turkey Baster - with graduated markings

In line with today's USA holiday (we had ours a month earlier), I found that using two turkey basters did the trick. I used the Akzo Nobel epoxy primer. One baster was used exclusively for the epoxy paint, the other for the hardener. Being that these basters have graduated markings, sucking up the right proportions made it a snap. Quick cleanup with MEK or acetone did the trick and made them re-usable (or throw them away if so inclined).

Mixing was done in glass measuring cups... bought replacements for the kitchen!

$1 each at the dollar store.

I use DuPont Veriprime and use a large popsickle stick (tongue depressor) to mix the primer after I open the can, then wet the same popsickle stick and transfer and scrape from can to mixing cup the number of times to mix the amount that I need (normally 6 to 10 times). Then I can poor the activator into the mixing cup (its clear liquid and pours like water). Then I prime the items using a sponge brush. Works well for me and uses very small amounts of product. I also mix the primer very thin to assist with flowout. This way I save product and do not gum up the rim of the primer can.

Yes and if anyone uses this with AKZO primer let me know how the mixer assembly holds up to the chemicals. When I was priming with AKZO and trying to figure out how to do small batches I bought a set of small plastic cups to dip the required amount out and well lets just say by the time I got they cup back on the table it had melted away! :eek: That is some strong stuff!!

What kind of plastic did you use? PP is fine, PS is not (see small embossed triangle, usually at the bottom of the container). I use PP single use drinking cups and they won't be dissolved.

Back