What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tip: Large Parts (Skins) Storage

RV7Factory

Chief Obfuscation Officer
I am sure I am not the first to do something like this, when I built my wing cradle a few months ago, I had the bright idea of using the sides of the wing spar crate to add a small platform to the bottom of the cradle (see below). My thinking was that I could store the large and unwieldly wing tips between the wing panel. It worked pretty well, and the wing tips fit quite nicely.

061119_004.jpg

Several weeks later, when my fuselage kit arrived, I quickly realized that there were A LOT of large parts that needed to be stored until I got to their stage of the kit. I then modified my wing cradle, using some scrap lumber, to assist me in storing some of the larger skins. As you can see below, I installed the scrap lumber between the ends of the cradle, about 1.5? apart from one another, to create supports or slots in which I could store many of the fuselage skins or large parts on end. I used the large cardboard sheets that came as packing material in the fuselage kit, as scratch protection or support for some of the taller more wobbly skins. It might not look like much in the picture, but I am amazed at how many parts I could fit between the wings, and by standing them vertically I don't have to remove one to get to another. Now they are safely out of the way of me and my clumsiness. :)

061230_001.jpg

Anywhooo... thought this might help the storage challenged.

Last edited:
Something similar

Hi Brad,
I did something similar except my rudder, vs, elevators, & hs are situated where your skin storage is. I like your idea better.

Nice work

Very well done Brad. That's eerily similiar to the way we stored skins on the F-15 production line right down to the protective paper (we mostly used cardboard). The essential difference was that each skin had to be lifted out of the vertical rack with a hoist and strap arrangement or for smaller skins, two people who felt froggy. You have a factory mindset. Maybe that's why you call your site the RV7Factory! :D

Back