What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tip for initial wingtip fitting

mburch

Well Known Member
Patron
I've been following the plans and Darwin's helpful article on wingtip mounting, but I came up with an easy variation I haven't seen before.

Once you get to the point where you're ready to drill the initial holes that will attach the wingtip to the wing skin overhang, ideally you want some way to force the floppy fiberglass flanges to be flush with the skin while you drill. I didn't have the materials handy to make the temporary foam rib suggested by Darwin's guide, but I did have a whole pack of little 3M Command clips.

We have these things all over our house, and my reasoning was that if they don't pull the paint off my drywall they probably won't pull the gelcoat off my fiberglass either. So after doing some testing on a cut-off piece with favorable results, I proceeded to stick a clip next to every second fastener hole:

20230813_tabs1.jpg

I locked the trailing edge of the wingtip to the aileron, double checked the alignment, then drilled and clecoed the first hole at the forward end:

20230813_wingtip3.jpg

Now here's where the stick-on tabs come into play. Working from front to back, and alternating from top to bottom, I drilled and clecoed every fourth hole, using the adjacent tab to pull the fiberglass flush with the wing skin. A looped zip tie made this easy – I wouldn't suggest using pliers here, as you only want to apply about a pound of force while you carefully drill through:

20230813_tabs2.jpg

Then I went back and did every second hole, and finally drilled and clecoed all the remaining holes. After I was done, I was able to easily remove the tabs without any damage to the gelcoat whatsoever. I'm very happy with the resulting fit:

20230813_wingtip6.jpg

Obligatory hero shot featuring some well-fitting wingtips:

20230813_perspective2.jpg

More pictures and full details here.

Great idea

Matt,
This is a fantastic idea and one that I will be utilizing when I install my ziptips. Thanks for the suggestion!

Neat trick...

We used pieces of gorilla tape (gaffers tape) doubled over forming a "T" shape; the bottom of the T served as a handle to pull the section of interest up/tight to the adjacent skin.

Back