What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tip: Fitting Baffles? Remove the Valve Covers!

Ironflight

VAF Moderator / Line Boy
Mentor
Louise is busy building new baffles for "Mikey", the RV-6. For those of us that built baffles in the old days, it is amazing to see how well the pre-punched lit fits. In fact, they fit so perfectly, you might have trouble getting them on the cylinders if you have silicone valve cover gaskets in the way. The answer? Pull the covers!

photo%2520%25286%2529.JPG

The baffles will sit down flat on the cylinder head flanges this way, and when you put the gaskets and covers back on, they'll seal right up. The alternative is enlarging the notches in the baffles that go on the heads - and when they fit this nice, why would you want to do that?

Agreed. The baffles should only require at most a minimal amount of dressing/minor trimming with a scotchbrite wheel to fit the outline of the valve cover flange.

Thanks for posting this, it was not in the archives, and a week late for me.:cool:

But - you can keep the tips coming!!

Timely post for me. I bought new red gaskets and I am about to install them. I thought of cutting a hair off the baffles but the fit is good I might leave them as they are. Thanks Paul.

Back