What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tip: Correcting rudder pedal geometry!!!!!!

PerfTech

Well Known Member
I found it rather uncomfortable with my feet on the rudder pedals and it seemed that I was constantly riding the brakes. Sometimes I would keep adding power just to taxi with the brakes on. I made these very small and lite extensions that raised the resting point 5/8", this solved the problem for me
and I am much more comfortable.:):)

IMGP8325.jpg

IMGP8326.jpg

IMGP8329.jpg

IMGP8328.jpg

IMGP8178.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Or....

We have beautiful rudder pedal extensions available at www.JDair.com. The geometry is a definite issue. That is why we developed a simple and inexpensive solution.

Yours look good too!!!

Very Nice, Allan...

You know, I'll bet you could sell a bunch of those to us who are amply endowed (footwise, that is :D). I have the same problem with the brakes--size 13 feet don't help.

We have beautiful rudder pedal extensions available at www.JDair.com. The geometry is a definite issue. That is why we developed a simple and inexpensive solution.

Yours look good too!!!

I wish I had seen those before I made mine! Could have saved myself some work. I did save $65.00 for 20 minutes work though.

I just angled the neutral position of brake pedals forward a bit when I was building/match drilling to the cylinders.

Another option if it is the actual geometry of the brake pedal in relation to the rudder bar (tilt):

Matco has a threaded end piston rod for their brake cylinders that use an adjustable clevis on the end.

http://www.matcomfg.com/MasterCylinderParts-tp2-46.html?Pos=54

A little pricey! I'm not sure what rod our master cylinders accept.

These allow you to adjust the angle of the brake pedal with respect to the rudder bar. I have these on my other aircraft's MC-5 cylinders. The existing cylinder pushrod could probably be modified by shortening the rod, cutting threads on the end and adding a clevis.

Just a thought

I did as Kevinh and angled the brake pedals a bit when I built up the rudder pedals. There fine for me but my son has size "13" feet and gets on the brakes inadvertantly occasionally.

Back